1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

5.3 Liter Vortec Engine problem

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by gboeshans, Mar 2, 2013.

1. gboeshans

gboeshans New Member

I have a 2002 Suburban with the 5.3 liter vortec and I am having issues with it running rough when cold and the "service engine soon" light coming on periodically for a matter of a day or two, go off again for a while, then coming back again. Can't seem to make up its mind if it happy or not! A buddy of mine has an analyzer and when he plugged it in to check the code it was showing, the analyzer could not find that there was a computer module in the circuit.

Anyone out there know what my issue(s) might be?

I assume that if the computer module was bad or dead, the "service engine soon" light would not light up, or would just stay on? That said, when it is cold it kinda runs like the computer is not controlling the choke or other cold running features correctly. Could it just be a fuse that runs the computer being bad?

At a loss...

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome How many miles are on the truck now? Have you done anything to it?

3. gboeshans

gboeshans New Member

It has a little over 185,000. Completely stock.

4. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Did the analyzer come on at all or just not work? It needs power and it could be the fuse was blown. I think the cigar fuse provides power to the OBDII connector. If it is bad then replace and try it again.

5. gboeshans

gboeshans New Member

Thanks guys for responding... I am new to the site and an engineer by trade so I periodically do some of my own maintenance and repairs to gain experience and of course to save money.

The analyzer worked fine, it just could not establish communication with the computer module. My buddy said that it was like there was no computer in the vehicle. Are you thinking the computer itself is not getting power or that there is no power available at the connector?

If the computer was not working at all I could see that being the reason for my cold starting issues but would the vehicle run at all without power to the computer?

I will check all my fuses today and see if any are blown. I know that all of my cigar lighter sockets work because we use them all very regularly since my family is obsessed with electronics!