5.3 Performace Mods????

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Z71_usmc_rebel, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Z71_usmc_rebel

Z71_usmc_rebel Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Right now im livin the dream playin in the sandbox (iraq) lol and Im lookin to add some performance mods to the truck when i get home. But im new to the 5.3. So im looking to see what kind of mods yall have done that would give me good gains in HP and TQ?

I already have a K&N Intake. ( I plan on adding duals, would the true duals gain more power?)

Here are some mods I have been looking into, but arnt sure if they will give me good gains?

Hypertech Programer
    All new Exhaust System (headers back)
    High Performance Plugs/wires

So please feel free to leave me some advice on the items listed above and also give me any new advice on other items or specific items that can help me with good gains!:fighting0072:

2. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like you've got some great ideas already! Another idea is an aftermarket MAF sensor. I've heard of people getting some noticeable gains from those, and some added MPG.

So far, I've also got a K&N on my 5.3 and plan some similar mods that you listed. I'm also planning on switching over to synthetic oil soon. I don't really expect anything as far as hp or torque gains, but I've heard it makes the engine run alot better. Some of the other guys will surely have more ideas as well!

Thank you so much for your service and God bless!!!!

3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sounds like you have the same list that most of us have considered. To go much further I'd mention the remote mounted turbo charger (mounts in the exhaust system, under the truck). Thanks for your service and get home ASAP!

4. Z71_usmc_rebel

where can i find this remote mounted turbo charger?

5. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

This question came up a couple of days ago and the mfg. is: SQUIRES, I think. Here is a quote from that original post:
    I hope this helps!

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

7. Mizzike

Mizzike New Member

Im right now doing the same thing with my 02 Silverado 5.3 im putting in a k and n intake, magnaflow dual exhaust, gibson headers, bosch iridium spark plugs , high performance spark plug wires, and a MSD ignition system and a superchips performance tuner to top it all off.

8. no0b123

no0b123 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Hypertech Programer -OK
    All new Exhaust System (headers back) -Excellent
    High Performance Plugs/wires -Meh
    Supercharger/Turbocharger -Hella hella hell ya!
    Custom performance tune -Great
    Syn. Oil change -Great

9. Z71_usmc_rebel

awesome thanks for the input so far! if anyone has any other items I should look into please let me know! im starting to put the shopping list together now..Hopefully this doesnt break the bank to bad..or I might have to come back to this sh*t hole of a country.. ha

10. sgt_in_usaf

sgt_in_usaf Rockstar

Justin, please post which mods you put on and how it performs. I've also got a 5.3L and I'm heading out to Camp Victory in Oct...so I'll be makin a little coinage to mod my burban. Good luck and stay safe!