Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

5.3 to 4.8,Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by squires, Aug 27, 2012.

1. squires

squires New Member

Thinking about ditching my truck, combo of the 0% + incentives, and the fact that post lifter replacement my truck has developed some noises at different RPM's that has yet after multiple trips to the dealer to be rectified/identified.
    Also don't like that the motor was tore down for the work with just over 20,000km's on it.
    Plays in the back of my mind that the head gasket will go just out of warranty.

Anyway im just thinking replacing truck with a SLE ot LT Crew 4x4, but somewhat concerned with the power compromise and towing capacity drop that comes with the crews, 5500 for the 4.8 and 6000 with the 5.3 with 3.08 rear.

So anyone who had a 5.3 switch to a 4.8?
    regrets?
    thanks

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It is my understanding, that the 5.3 uses the 6 speed tranny and the 4.8 uses the 4 speed.

I have also heard many people complain about the poorer gas consumption of the 4.8 (perhaps, due to the transmission)

The head gasket warranty is good for 166,000 km I don't think I'd worry.

3. silverbike9

silverbike9 New Member

sorry but to me the 3.08 is what dosen't make sense with the 4.3 and 4x4 .For towing and the weight with less power the 3.73 is a better choice . You would actually loose gas mileage with the 3.08 and towing

4. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Wouldn't worry too much about gas consumption if you plan on doing a few mods. With the addition of a tuner (Hypertech Max Energy) to my cammed 4.8, I am getting in the neighborhood of 19 MPG's with 50% city and 50% highway (literally, my commute is 8 miles of city and 8 miles of highway driving every day). Of course, I also drive like an old lady on the way to her grave.

5. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My '03 Extended cab had a 4.8 and had plenty of power for towing. I towed a 30' travel trailer with hardly any effort at all. my little 4.8 would run circles around any 350 I ever had, so it is fine to use for towing! I would want 3:73 gears, however... I would take 3:42 gears if I HAD to... Nothing else tho.