5.3 to 6.0 swap

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by kirk30013, Jun 25, 2011.

1. kirk30013

kirk30013 New Member

hi guys i am a newbie here i recently purchased an 05 gmc z71 truck for a great deal with some problems the biggest is it has really low oil pressure at idle(turns the warning message on)but when i rev it it goes up to forty , when i am driving it also stays at 40 but despite that after long ride i can hear the lifters getting real noisy .so i have access to a 6.0 engine out of a z71 tahoe that rolled over i just wanna know how is is this swap will i have to rewire the whole truck engine harness or can i use everything off the 5.3 on this 6.0 motor remember my truck is aN 05 AND THE DONOR IS 03 I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE WHO HAVE ACTUALLY DONE THIS SWAP NOT A BUNCH OF SIDELINE MECHANICS

2. McMahan

McMahan Rockstar 100 Posts

dont want you to think I am a "sideline mechanic" but I have help build a few Silverado SS clones. For the most part everything will swap right over just make sure you get the 6.0 PCM. Do you know if it is a LQ4 or LQ9? Just to be on the safe side I would also take the engine wiring harness out of it too. Also not sure if your truck has a throttle cable or not but I know some friends that have done the swap have had to use a DR. X T/B wiring harness to make it work and had to replace the the gas pedal itself with the electronic one

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I guess im a sidleline mechanic.

4. kirk30013

kirk30013 New Member

thanks for the info not sure if its a lq4 or lq9 it does not have a throttle cable (mine) gotta check the tahoe and see. I dont want anyone to take offence to my (sideline mechanic) comment but you know how info from a friend of a friend get changed by the time you get it and all these opinions get posted your more confused than when you first started so i really wanted to here from some real hands on folks thats all the tahoe has everything there including the 4wd trans.

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

HEY!!! How is the roof rack on that Z71 Tahoe? I need the roller on the back of it. from end to end.. Please Pm me or email me at enkeiavalanche@yahoo.com

Thanks

6. McMahan

McMahan Rockstar 100 Posts

should be a easy swap even if the hoe has a cable just put your T/B on it might have to get a adapter or spacer but I think you will be fine

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Justin

7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. I'm pretty sure the '03 Tahoe is fly-by-wire throttle.

8. Tim Josey

Tim Josey New Member

I know this post is a few months old now, but did you go through with the swap? I have an 05 Z-71 also and was considering the same thing. The 5.3 is a little wimpy when it comes to pulling my M\C trailer.

Thanks

Tim

9. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Everything will swap over. I read the other day that even the PCM will, You might have to get it tuned though.