1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

5.3 to a 6.0 swap

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by 22inSilverado, Jun 23, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. 22inSilverado

22inSilverado New Member

Im looking at putting a different motor in my truck right now i have to factory 5.3 in it but i was looking at putting a 6.0 in it. What would all have to be done would i have to buy a new computer or could i have my old one flashed. I know i would have to have it tuned and what not, but i'm just looking for a little input from everyone!
    Thanks

2. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

should be a direct swap, then just have the tune updated for the 6.0. you might want to consider the 4l80e tranny if your truck doesn't have one already.

3. Cav_spartan

Cav_spartan Rockstar

Wouldnt putting in a bigger cam and crank push the displacement out??? sounds cheaper then a whole engine/ tranny swap....

4. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

A cam has nothing to do with displacement.

5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

New heads and getting it bored out would make the difference up, I personally like the 6.0 way better and that's from personal experience. I would research parts interchangeability between those two motors, you would be surprised what GMPP has in there catalogs if you have the $$$$$ :great:

6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

He has another thread saying he's burning oil, so the motor is probably shot.

I second the 4L80e.

7. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

nope just drop in and tune.

maybe a tranny.

When you get your 6.0, swap in some cams and beef it up before dropping it in.

8. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i think this guys got the right idea:great:

9. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Is the 6.0 overhead cam?

10. DamnBigPapa

DamnBigPapa New Member

Consider this. The 6.0 is capable of producing a little better torque numbers, but the 5.3 is a solid performer. I had a 2002 1500 with the 5.3 ltr. When I wanted more "go" and "tow" I opted for a whipple supercharger. I will tell you that thing hauled A$$ following the upgrade. In all, it ended up costing me about $2900 but I had a full size 4X4 that would easily run with most anything I came across on the roads. Any time you decide to swap an engine to a different config, there are a lot of little costs and changes that can really add up. Not sure what your state's emissions standards are, but with the heavily computer controlled engines of today, you need to be very careful that you don't end up screwed when it comes time to have it tested. The numbers are predetermined and your truck will need to meet the stardards for that model. The tester/computer won't care how much work you've put in. It's simply a pass/fail.
    I ended up moving to a diesel because my toys got bigger.