5.3 with 4L60E into 84 half ton

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Sweenmachine88, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Sweenmachine88

Sweenmachine88 New Member

i am looking for an engine and trans to put into my 84 gmc 1500. i was wondering about gettin a wrecked salvage pickup with a 5.3 and 4l60E. i have doubts about being able to do the wiring myself. is the computer one unit for the engine and trans? is there an after market wiring harness i could use that would suit me better then trying to use the used harness? also would i have trouble finding a tranfer case that would work with this app. any knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Search through GM's crate motor program, they sell a complete package (engine, trans, manifolds, and computers) for installation into older vehicles but I believe they also sell some of the items stand alone.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club.

4. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Welcome aboard. Good luck with your project.

5. GrandPrix46

GrandPrix46 New Member

Having an HP Tuner suite (or knowing someone who does) wouldn't be a bad idea, either. This way you can reprogram the computer to disable certain systems rather than try and install them into your '84 (things such as EVAP, EGR, etc.) to make it run normal. The PCM runs both the engine and transmission, however if you don't have the same rear gear ratio as the donor truck it won't shift right due to the different wheel speed the computer will detect (HPTuners can take care of this issue as well)

Also Caddiac, the rear 02 sensor(s) do not affect fueling at all, their sole purpose is to measure catalyst efficiency. Only the pre-cat 02's affect fueling. With my tuning software for the GTP I would have to set about 3 different codes to not report so the SES light wouldn't come on when running a catless downpipe. Fuel trims were never affected.

To the OP, if you can get the donor engine/trans/wiring cheap, you might as well give it a shot. Search around on google and I'm sure you can find lots of info on the wiring and such.

6. Sweenmachine88

Sweenmachine88 New Member

thanks for the info. i will uppdate this when i make some progress.