1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

5.3L's that eat oil

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by fireman1317, Jun 26, 2010.

1. 07subur

07subur New Member

Does anyone know if it is only the code 3 (aluminum)engines are affected or the code 0 (cast iron) as well? Can you put a code 0 engine in a vehicle that came with a code 3 engine? Any differences other than being heavier?

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I don't know, but it is an interesting theory. The articles that I have found are all talking about aluminum.

Should be do-able, the 2wd Avalanches use the iron engine, the 4x4 trucks use the aluminum.

3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i thought if you had the flex fuel it was a iron block with aluminum heads?

Alex

4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The hole AFM/ only using 4 cylinders is an interesting idea and might make sense for the newer 5.3L's but in 2000 we did not have the function to stop 4 of the 8 cylinders when we did not need them.... so my engine uses all 8 cylinders all the time, so that cannot be 100% of the truth about the problem.

5. RayVoy

Good point nakranij

6. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I have 2011 5.3L flex fuel and I have aluminum block.

7. noshow13

noshow13 New Member

My 2005 uses about 1 quart every 3k miles too.

8. 07subur

07subur New Member

No, mine is flex and is all aluminum

Nico

9. RayVoy

I was answering an other thread, when I had a thought; maybe, along with AFM, it's the addition of ethanol to the gas that is causing the rings to stick

10. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

So far, my new to me 2011 oil level has dropped a little below the top hole on the dipstick after 1500 miles. It looks good and promising. :great::happy: