5.3L's that eat oil

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by fireman1317, Jun 26, 2010.

1. 07subur

07subur New Member

Does anyone know if it is only the code 3 (aluminum)engines are affected or the code 0 (cast iron) as well? Can you put a code 0 engine in a vehicle that came with a code 3 engine? Any differences other than being heavier?

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I don't know, but it is an interesting theory. The articles that I have found are all talking about aluminum.

Should be do-able, the 2wd Avalanches use the iron engine, the 4x4 trucks use the aluminum.

3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i thought if you had the flex fuel it was a iron block with aluminum heads?

Alex

4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

The hole AFM/ only using 4 cylinders is an interesting idea and might make sense for the newer 5.3L's but in 2000 we did not have the function to stop 4 of the 8 cylinders when we did not need them.... so my engine uses all 8 cylinders all the time, so that cannot be 100% of the truth about the problem.

5. RayVoy

Good point nakranij

6. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I have 2011 5.3L flex fuel and I have aluminum block.

7. noshow13

noshow13 New Member

My 2005 uses about 1 quart every 3k miles too.

8. 07subur

07subur New Member

No, mine is flex and is all aluminum

Nico

9. RayVoy

I was answering an other thread, when I had a thought; maybe, along with AFM, it's the addition of ethanol to the gas that is causing the rings to stick

10. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

So far, my new to me 2011 oil level has dropped a little below the top hole on the dipstick after 1500 miles. It looks good and promising. :great::happy: