1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

5.7-4.3 vortec intake mani gasket

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by tbru323, Feb 10, 2013.

1. tbru323

tbru323 New Member

I have a 97 silverado with the 5.7 and i recently did my intake manifold gasket, put the metal fel pro gasket in and torqued them all in sequence to spec. Still leaves a small puddle. I have been helping 2 of my buddys with blazers and the one is perfect after we did it and doesnt leak, the other has the same result as mine, still leaves a small puddle. Are these intakes [FONT=inherit ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][/FONT][/FONT]manifolds known for warping or pitting? i didnt notice any pitting on the 5.7 but the 4.3 that still leaks i checked and it had a little pitting but nothing that i felt would cause a problem. I could see the rtv seal getting weak but thats not a coolant bearing seal. This IMG has become a major headache for me and i have a feeling im not the only one. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  2. Old Iron nut

Old Iron nut New Member

tbru, just acquired a 3500 model with the same problem, it's on it's second motor. Don't know what the problem is whether bad machining or bad gaskets. I just posted a msg regarding same. I don't have the motor out yet, but I know the pan is full of antifreeze. One of my customers had the same problem with his 350. The local rebuilder says that the gasket that GM uses is crap but the aftermarket ones are supposed to fix the problem. Hopefully the weather will mild up so that I can pull the motor. Cheers, Old Iron nut.