5.7 L Vortec L31 Torque Monster Build Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by chevyracingss, Nov 8, 2011.

1. chevyracingss

chevyracingss New Member

I will be getting a 96 Z71 in Feb. of 2012, been doing some research on the motor and it appears that Chevy set it up to tow from the factory. 250-350 HP at 4600 RPM and 430-450 lb-ft at 2800 RPM stock!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was looking to redo the motor to get around 600 lb-ft in the lower RPM range. Initial thoughts are flat top pistons, machining block and heads, balancing crank, upgraded valvetrain (including cam and valvesprings, longer rods and possibly bigger RA ratio), bigger injectors, and a programmer. If this sounds good to you guys gimme a thumbs up, if you guys would do anything different (or more :)) please let me know. I do not have a lot of experience with the computer controlled Vortec Motors so that is why I am asking the forums.

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you go with a mild cam depending on the specs, you could have problems with the knock sensor/s. On my Lt1 it is common to go to an aftermarket knock sensor, as the stock one will pick up the lope of the cam as a knock. Might want to check into this to see if it applies to your motor, my knock sensor was inside the ECM case so It might be different.

3. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

The L31 Vortec 350 that was installed in all GM half ton trucks (Pick-ups, Tahoes, Suburbans, Vans) put out 255 hp and 330 lb-ft. Whoever told you 430-450 ftlb of torque was off by 100 lb-ft. 600 lb-ft is possible but very expensive with a small block. If you want the motor to live a long life plan on adding a forged crank and rods, and I'd talk to an experienced builder about the strength of the factory block.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The 383E- drop in GM performance stroker replacement for the L31 makes 340hp 435 lb ft.
    I don't think a 350 gasoline motor can make 600lb ft wihtout some sort of boost or nitrous oxide.
    Without a supercharger of N2O you just can't put enough mixture in the cylinder
    Big torque like that requires lots of displacement-or boost
    Charlie
    PS Even those 14/1 compression Nascar motors don't make anything like 600 lb ft-they make big power-700 hp- by running double the RPMS-9000 or so-I doubt they make more than 450lb ft
    6.7 liter Turbo diesels make 600-700 lb ft-BUT they have 18/1 compression and more importantly 15 psi OF BOOST- so they can stuff double the mixture in a cylinder that a normally aspirated spark motor can.
    Aiming for numbers like GMs 383E is probably the best you can do Torque wise- you can make more than 340 hp by using a cam that gives torque farther up the RPM range- like other said- you will need a stouter- forged- crank and connecting rods if you plan to make power at 7000 RPMs or so-redline on most 350's is about 5500 RPMs or so
    The little 302 from years ago made power at 7000 RPMs or so but it had a 3" stroke-so it could rev higher-fancy heads also

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  5. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Ouch. You don't need all that crap. Honest. Not on a pickup truck, pal.

A camshaft change is all you need. You have some good heads on it already. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, contact a local shop that does engine work on street rods and other custom work, and ask them if Edelbrock makes a Performer head that will work with your motor and fuel system. I have them on my truck, and with the right builder and the right rocker assemblies, and the right cam, you will have all the power you will ever need.

Only other thing I would add: quality headers, and a larger diameter exhaust (custom is best).

Get it worked on at a shop that tunes on a dynomometer with a laptop. That way you can have them do a "before" and "after" dyno run to show you the difference.

6. McMahan

McMahan Rockstar 100 Posts

If you have enough money I would do a engine swap. Get a LQ9 and put a maggie on top of it and a built tranny and a good set of gears and you wont be let down

7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I agree with phoebeisis, go with the GMPerformance HT383E crate motor part # 17800393. Its a direct bolt-in and has a 24month/50,000 mile warranty.