GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

5.7 vortec how to carb

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by dutch4x4gmc, Jan 22, 2010.

1. dutch4x4gmc

dutch4x4gmc New Member

new to site but got acces to a free 5.7 vortec that runs good and need to know how hard itwould be to carb. and regular dist. this motor and install in 85 gmc
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member

Edelbrock makes a intake carb manifold for that conversion. The vortec heads half a differant angle where the manifold mounts to the heads. I've seen MSD distributors installed on them but dont know what is involve. I'm sure MSDs tech line can help you.
  3. cwbontheyfz

cwbontheyfz New Member

gaskets

there is a edelbrock manifold for that engine just make sure you order the edelbrock manifold gaskets that match or you will have all kinds of problems they are not cheap but a must i have been through it already. and make sure you get the right crab that's another problem with that combo but one great running engine when finished
  4. project86

project86 New Member

Hey I did this swap into an 86 c20 about a year and a half a go. I've got a little write up about it in the classic c/k forum if you need it, or any questions let me know. These guys are right though the angle on the heads are different so you do need a vortec intake manifold. I ordered one through summit racing, as for the distributor I used a new stock HEI distributor that was for the 86 model engine it was replacing. I have an edelbrock 1406 carb sitting on top of it all with an electronic fuel pump. The motor performs awesome in the ol truck. Before i swapped it over to 4wd i had 29" tires, 700r4 transmission, and 3.73 gears. on the hwy i got a consistent 20 mpg and even pulling my 19 ft bowrider boat i got 17 mpg back and forth from the lake. like i said any questions let me know, good kuck.