1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

5.7L Gasket

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Meathead, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Meathead

Meathead New Member

I have heard that there is a known issue with the 5.7 L engine.

Around 75,000 miles on the origional gasket it might start leaking. A lot of people have it leak early and have them replaced under warranty. Chevy has since improved the gasket design.

Should I stay away from Felpro? How about the ultra Gray gasket seal? Anyone have any input on this?
  2. peterK

peterK New Member

I might have this issue. I'll post it in its own thread also to see if anyone knows about it.

I have been hearing a noise from the engine of my Tahoe for the past week. Sounds like a flat tire hitting the pavement over and over when you're under the hood, and from the inside it almost sounds like a chirping or sipping sound.

It sounds like an exhaust leak that is from the intake manifold somewhere. It's coming from the driver-side intake, right below the TB/Intake mating surface. Could be a bad gasket?
  3. rbruce

rbruce New Member

Meathead, I'm assuming you are talking about the intake manifold gasket. Mine held up to about 150,000, so I feel luck after reading many posts about this. Leak shows itself at the rear of the engine as a coolant leak.

I replaced with a Felpro kit. Had the help of a mechanic friend. Job took about 5.5 hours, probably would have been more like 8 if I done it on my own. Having the correct tools really helped in two places, removing one of the pulleys, and resetting the timing, which can only be done correctly with a diagnostic computer.

Good luck.
  4. ARNIE

ARNIE New Member

Which gasket?
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

That's got to be the intake manifold gasket. I've read that there were problems on several years with the factory gasket. I've not heard of a known problem with other ones like the head or valve cover or pan gasket, just the intake..
  6. ARNIE

ARNIE New Member

Those gaskets usually begin leaking around 75,000 or so. If you do it yourself, 2 words of advice. Corteco gaskets and ultra gray. Corteco is a superior product to Felpro. Corteco is the original Chevy gasket division of General Motors.
  7. 97tahoeboy

97tahoeboy New Member

hed my intakes go at about 80,000, took it in and shop did it in a bout 4hrs. but they're real good with those gaskets, ( that shop gets a lot of intakes)
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

4 hours of labor, at what $70/hour?

It's been a while since I've had to replace anything like that. I live in rented space right now, no room for a project like that.
  9. surfin_phil

surfin_phil New Member

99 Tahoe with problems

I think I now know why my Tahoe starts miss firing when going up steep hills. Runs fine otherwise but I have noticed my coolant disappearing and pressure test showed no leaks.

My question for the group:
    Is GM stepping up on this issue? obviously a serious defect.
    If DEXCOOL is the problem, should I use something else before my engine rots away?

Thinking of joining the class action suit if dexcool is the cause.
    Anyone know more about this?

Thanks.
  10. ProzacKid

ProzacKid New Member 100 Posts

I've not heard of any class action suit. is there one?