Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

5 Speed to 6 Speed Swap

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Goldie, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm running a 4.3L engine with the 5 speed trans. I'm interested in opinions on wether or not a swap to a 6 speed trans will work. Does the 4.3 L have enough strength to support a 6 speed?
  2. dknoerzer

dknoerzer Member

I think that's backwards... ask if the transmission can handle the power coming out of your engine. Just curious, were you thinkin a t56 out of a camaro or the big boy 6 speed from 2006ish hd trucks?
  3. Goldie

Thanks for the reply. And it's a good question that I never considered. My trans now is the 5 spd. manual, I 'm still thinking about the 6 spd. manual. Thoughts?
  4. dknoerzer

dknoerzer Member

Personally I'm planning on a t56 swap this winter/spring. If you have the 4.3, I assume it's an s10, maybe fullsize rcsb? Lot of guys have done the t56 swap, almost a direct bolt in it looks like. Someone that really knows what they're doing could have it in in a weekend I think. The big zf s6-650 that replaced the nv4500 in the hd trucks requires a body lift from what hear, so that was a deterrent for me.
  5. 00chevy53

00chevy53 Rockstar 100 Posts

check out quickstreettrucks.com and look up this guy quick and ask him about it... hes got a 6 spd in his truck pushin a lot of power
  6. Goldie

Thanks for the info, I'll chase it down.
  7. 00chevy53

00chevy53 Rockstar 100 Posts

the only bad thing about the t56 is i dont think its really meant for towing... so if you do tow stuff then im not sure how well its gonna work out for you
  8. Goldie

I don't plan on doing any towing. It is, however, great info to know. I appreciate your response.
  9. dknoerzer

dknoerzer Member

I've heard that the t56 is a no-go for towing as well. I did read about a guy that put one in a 1990's burban and towed a carhauler. He said it went great but he did go through 2 clutches. I plan on a monster clutch and low ring and pinion gears to get the weight moving.