5 Speed to 6 Speed Swap

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Goldie, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm running a 4.3L engine with the 5 speed trans. I'm interested in opinions on wether or not a swap to a 6 speed trans will work. Does the 4.3 L have enough strength to support a 6 speed?

2. dknoerzer

dknoerzer Member

I think that's backwards... ask if the transmission can handle the power coming out of your engine. Just curious, were you thinkin a t56 out of a camaro or the big boy 6 speed from 2006ish hd trucks?

3. Goldie

Thanks for the reply. And it's a good question that I never considered. My trans now is the 5 spd. manual, I 'm still thinking about the 6 spd. manual. Thoughts?

4. dknoerzer

dknoerzer Member

Personally I'm planning on a t56 swap this winter/spring. If you have the 4.3, I assume it's an s10, maybe fullsize rcsb? Lot of guys have done the t56 swap, almost a direct bolt in it looks like. Someone that really knows what they're doing could have it in in a weekend I think. The big zf s6-650 that replaced the nv4500 in the hd trucks requires a body lift from what hear, so that was a deterrent for me.

5. 00chevy53

00chevy53 Rockstar 100 Posts

check out quickstreettrucks.com and look up this guy quick and ask him about it... hes got a 6 spd in his truck pushin a lot of power

6. Goldie

Thanks for the info, I'll chase it down.

7. 00chevy53

00chevy53 Rockstar 100 Posts

the only bad thing about the t56 is i dont think its really meant for towing... so if you do tow stuff then im not sure how well its gonna work out for you

8. Goldie

I don't plan on doing any towing. It is, however, great info to know. I appreciate your response.

9. dknoerzer

dknoerzer Member

I've heard that the t56 is a no-go for towing as well. I did read about a guy that put one in a 1990's burban and towed a carhauler. He said it went great but he did go through 2 clutches. I plan on a monster clutch and low ring and pinion gears to get the weight moving.