1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

5 speed transmission SWAP in 1997 Z71

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by agteacher, Aug 20, 2013.

1. agteacher

agteacher New Member

Will a 1997 C1500 2 wheel drive 5 speed transmission Swap into my Z71 with 5 speed transmission???
    ALSO what 5 speed transmission "originally came" in the 5.7 motor Z71 (NV3500???) ?
    THANKS for the info and Reply
  2. okysmokey911

okysmokey911 Rockstar 100 Posts

If your truck is a z71 4x4 then no you cannot swap the transmissions. You need a nv3500 from a 4x4 so that it can mount up to the transfer case. Look up an nv3500 for a 4x4 and a two wheel drive on ebay and you can see the differences.
  3. agteacher

agteacher New Member

THANKS. but????

THANKS for the info.
    We have a 2 wheel drive NV3500 trans. as a "donor"...... will the internal parts(gears, rod, forks and ects.)from the 2wheel drive NV3500 "FIT" in the 4wheel drive NV3500 trans. REASON I ask, one of my students found a "junk" trans. and we thought we would try to rebuild/swap parts. I did not know :neutral: that the 4wheel trans. were THIS hard to find and MAN the price for a rebuild trans. is more that we paid for the "whole" truck!!!!! :no:
  4. okysmokey911

okysmokey911 Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah they are extremely hard to find. I do not actually know if the internals will work or not. I know that they came out with several versions of the nv3500 and there are differences in the number of shift rails in each. I actually have a 4x4 nv3500 that went bad. It would make some bad noises in third and fifth gear haha. Pretty sure the bearings went out in those gears. Found this link so I suppose it might be possible to swap out the tail ends of the two transmissions as long as you have the same version of the nv3500. http://www.truckforum.org/forums/chevy-truck-forum/33624-can-i-convert-2wd-nv3500-tranny-4-wd.html