$50,000.00 2008 Silverado = RUST??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Gator Dave, Oct 28, 2008.

Newest Photos

1. Gator Dave

Gator Dave New Member

I just purchased a 'new' 2008 2500HD LTZ, Z71 4x4, w/6.6L Diesel. I did say 'new,' it was a hold-over from last year, never demo'd or titled - 23 miles original...probably from test drives. I bought it 5 days ago. My state has a NO buyers remorse return policy, you bought it - it's yours!

I never bothered to 'inspect' the undercarriage and drive train, it's NEW right? Well, all the shafts, mounts, sway bars, steering linkage, tie rods, brake calipers/backing plates, bushing mounts, and much more are solid RUST! Even along the frame and where there are galvanized parts, etc., they are rusty!?

GM Customer Satisfaction seems to agree that that truck SHOULD NOT have that corrosion! The dealer, the service manager, and the salesman say it's "normal."

The view under my truck looks like a combination of a NEW p-up and a '68 p-up pulled out of a bayou!

BTW, I am a Florida boy, the truck was purchased in NW Florida -- I hate to see how it will deteriorate if it ever sees northern roads in the winter...

Comments PLEASE!

Thanks!!
  2. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member 100 Posts

I'm shocked is all i have to say
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

huh, have a photo of the corrosion? How bad is it?
  4. SilveradoBrett

SilveradoBrett New Member

What? Thats shocking? Do you have any pictures to show? I kinda want to see it!
  5. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

maybe it got flooded :neutral:
  6. 08victoryredZ71

08victoryredZ71 New Member

X2 they could have sold you a flooded one!
  7. zach45

zach45 New Member 100 Posts

i dono about all that... my driveshaft rear 2" blocks and u bolts and all **** like that are rusty... but my uca and lca are fine. and all that other stuff your said..
  8. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site Dave! Too bad about the rust and I would be persistant with GM and maybe they will take care of you.
  9. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If they don't take care of you and it is just surface rust or not to bad corrosion you can treat it with POR-15. But if you do follow the instructions very precise and DO NOT GET IT ON ANY NUTS AND BOLTS. You will never get them out. This stuff is the best rust treatment on the market and is hard as a rock after dried.You would have to do the pieces individually so dismantling your truck is necessary

I would beat the salesman just short of death first before trying this. They should take care of you. It should't be your problem.

Dealership = liars

http://www.por15.com/
  10. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thats outragous, I would stay persistant w the dealers. Post a pic of it when you get a chance. Are we talking about surface rust? How long was the truck on the lot?? I might try looking at the under carrige of some other trucks at the dealer. :neutral: Keep us posted.