1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

6.0 or 5.3

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by drwdominance, Jun 4, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. drwdominance

drwdominance Rockstar

i have an 07 sierra classic. how do i know if it is a 6 or a 5.3? my insurance says it's an HD.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

there is an emmissions sticker under the hood that has the motors displacement. Also if you pull the RPO codes in the glove box... And you should be able to do a vin decoding and that would tell you as well.

3. ChelleCaz

ChelleCaz New Member

Another way to tell is to look at your tailpipe. If your pipe goes out the passenger side to the right then you have the 5.3 if it goes straight out the back on the passenger side then you have the 6.0.
    I beleive the 6.0 in those trucks was called the Vortec Max. Somewhere around 360 hp and 381 Tq. Relatively impressive power and crappy mileage compared to the 5.3.

4. drwdominance

drwdominance Rockstar

there seems to be a couple of stickers missing from under the hood. what is an rpo code?

5. drwdominance

drwdominance Rockstar

ok. figured it out. vin # has t in it which makes it a 5.3. if it had a u then it would be the 6.0.

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sounds good.. and the PRO code is a 3 digit code. There is a list of them on a sheet that is stuck to your glove box liner.. The codes tell you basically everything that you truck came with.

7. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As Mentioned by Murdog94..[RPO Codes].....Are In your Glove Box....Enter your Trucks Vin # at the Site Below........It will show you what Engine you have...5.3 or 6.0.....Along with everything else your truck has on it...from the Factory.

Link,
    http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  8. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I have a new 2010 GMC Savana. I don't see any RPO codes in my glove box. Where are the RPO codes for my vehicle? ARe they somewhere else?

9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Hmm.....Being Van & a 2010....maybe G.M.did moved them to somewhere else on the Van's???.......:neutral:

10. newsie23

newsie23 New Member

On my '03, the RPO numbers are on the rear surface of the front passenger door.