1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

6.0 or Duramax?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by dknoerzer, Jul 29, 2011.

1. dknoerzer

dknoerzer Member

So I'm planning on picking up a Suburban this weekend, and eventually swapping in some serious power. While I was poking around looking for motors out of a 2500, thinking of a 6.0, I was prompted to select between a 6.0 and a 6.6. This got me thinking... diesel Suburban. I'll need serious drivetrain mods regardless whether it's a built 6.0 or a diesel, and I know the diesel will require a lot of other mods compared to the relatively easy bolt-in gasser. Any thoughts?
  2. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Rockstar 100 Posts

Are you looking to buy a new suburban? I would stay away from swapping motors if possible unless its a project truck. What I love about my 6.0 in my 2500 is that it does not have active fuel management. No switching between V4 to V8 and minimal shifting. I considered a 6.6 when shopping for mine back in Jan but the new diesels require urea additive to comply with epa. Not a big deal just another thing to do. Unless you need the power to tow and you tow often I don't know any reason to get a diesel. For those saying better mileage, you have to drive a few hundred thousand miles to recoup the savings vs the extra cost upfront. I have towed just shy of 15,000 with mine and had no issue at all. went about a hundred miles, up hills and all. even passed a few big rigs going up hill at 70mph. My gas mileage did suffer a bit but I don't tow every day. Oil changes cost more, fuel filter every 5K and diesel costs more than gas at least here in southern new england.

If you are considering used, I would look for a 2500 suburban I think 2005 or 2006 was the last year for the 8.1 big block. and other 2500 suburbans have the 6.0 already.

Don't get me wrong I would love a duramax but being at least 7K more at the dealer wasn't worth it to me.

Good luck with your search!
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

x2 what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  4. dknoerzer

dknoerzer Member

yea, the only real reason would be because overkill is fun. I ended up with a 2007 1500 with the lt2 trim. I'm going to drive it as is for a while, then park it for the winter and start wrenching. Unless I find a heck of a deal on a 6.0 I'll probably start tearing into the 5.3 because there's a million other things I'l like to do to it.