1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

6.0L gas mileage

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by whiteavalanche, Jun 2, 2010.

1. whiteavalanche

whiteavalanche New Member

Hey guys new to the site. I guess a few questions. I'm thinking about buying a silverado 2500 hd with the 6.0L motor for better towing. currently have an 04 avalanche with the 5.3L. What can i expect real world fuel mileage wise out of the 6.0L, and if i get a gas programmer right away which i would, what kind of fuel mileage could i expect then? I get 14/18 average with the Avalanche and hope with adding the programmer to the 6.0L I wouldn't be far off of that for daily mixed driving. Thanks for the help.
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

You can expect about 12-13 mpg. I do mostly highway at 65. Usually get just shy of 13. Same before my truck was lifted
  3. Tony Arms

Tony Arms Member

I get between 11 and 13mpg around town with my 3500 extended express van. 16mpg on a tank full once with the wind at my back going down hill.
  4. chevyman2004

chevyman2004 Rockstar 100 Posts

highway no wind i get 15-16 mpg at 60-65 mph, around town i get 8-9 mpg.
  5. ministock8

ministock8 New Member

i get between 11 and 13. pulling a trailer with a 3000 lb car and the bed loaded with tools and spares it like 8 to 10
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the first questoin is do you really need a 2500 HD for towing? My dads 1/2 ton 6.0 gets 19 easy on the highway and has hit the 22-23 range before.
  7. whiteavalanche

whiteavalanche New Member

I'm going to be buying a 27-29 ft travel trailer or a 5th wheel and I really don't want to max out my Avalnche. Not worried so much about the 5.3L's power. Concerned more with the suspension and brakes. The biggest thing is i don't really know if i want to go diesel(cost). Love the power and GAS MILEAGE of the 5.3L. The BIG question I have is what kind of horsepower and GAS MILEAGE gains are people seeing with a gas programmer on the 6.0L? Especially on the 2500HD.