6.0L gas mileage

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by whiteavalanche, Jun 2, 2010.

1. whiteavalanche

whiteavalanche New Member

Hey guys new to the site. I guess a few questions. I'm thinking about buying a silverado 2500 hd with the 6.0L motor for better towing. currently have an 04 avalanche with the 5.3L. What can i expect real world fuel mileage wise out of the 6.0L, and if i get a gas programmer right away which i would, what kind of fuel mileage could i expect then? I get 14/18 average with the Avalanche and hope with adding the programmer to the 6.0L I wouldn't be far off of that for daily mixed driving. Thanks for the help.

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

You can expect about 12-13 mpg. I do mostly highway at 65. Usually get just shy of 13. Same before my truck was lifted

3. Tony Arms

Tony Arms Member

I get between 11 and 13mpg around town with my 3500 extended express van. 16mpg on a tank full once with the wind at my back going down hill.

4. chevyman2004

chevyman2004 Rockstar 100 Posts

highway no wind i get 15-16 mpg at 60-65 mph, around town i get 8-9 mpg.

5. ministock8

ministock8 New Member

i get between 11 and 13. pulling a trailer with a 3000 lb car and the bed loaded with tools and spares it like 8 to 10

6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the first questoin is do you really need a 2500 HD for towing? My dads 1/2 ton 6.0 gets 19 easy on the highway and has hit the 22-23 range before.

7. whiteavalanche

whiteavalanche New Member

I'm going to be buying a 27-29 ft travel trailer or a 5th wheel and I really don't want to max out my Avalnche. Not worried so much about the 5.3L's power. Concerned more with the suspension and brakes. The biggest thing is i don't really know if i want to go diesel(cost). Love the power and GAS MILEAGE of the 5.3L. The BIG question I have is what kind of horsepower and GAS MILEAGE gains are people seeing with a gas programmer on the 6.0L? Especially on the 2500HD.