Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

6.2 Diesel cold weather over heating problem

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by Mike Hill, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Rockstar

Hello

Recently my Suburban 6.2 Diesel has begun to over heat in cold weather.

When I start it up,the temp remains low,untill it quickly rises to danger hot.All the while my Heater will not blow Hot air.Then I pull over to cool it down,then afterwards the motor runs at normal temps

I have changed the Thermostat,drained flushed and refilled the Radiator with an antifreeze mix,there is visible water flow across the Radiator

I had a theory that perhaps some gunk had frozen in the Cooling system,thus forming a obstruction which caused the Engine temp to rise,after stopping the Motor the plug would melt and normal cooling would resume.

This was however not the case.

Thankyou in advance.

Mike

2. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Rockstar

Update:

This problem just stopped happening,very odd indeed.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Mike you think you might have gotten an air bubble in the heater core?

4. kinson33

kinson33 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

My 6.2 Blazer did something similar. Temp would spike, coolant would actually leak though. Did the same work you did but didn't replace the pump and I'm thinking it might have needed that. Sold it before I figured it out though, some lucky mechanic who worked on them in the NAVY is now fixing it up.