1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

6.2 engine swap

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 09silverado, Jun 20, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. 09silverado

09silverado New Member

I have a 2009 silverado that had a 5.3 lmg motor that I am wanting to swap with a l9h 6.2 from a gmc. I have the 6l80 tranny so it should be a direct swap but the l9h has vvt and I am wondering if I can just switch over ther timing chain sprocket and cover to eliminate the vvt and what advantages and disadvantages will it have?

Also if I wanted to go with the vvt how would I go about since my ecu and harness was not equiped for vvt?

The first pic is the one with vvt

Thanks

Attached Files:

• 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      84.2 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      85.1 KB
      Views:
  2. RallySTX

RallySTX Member 100 Posts

My guess would be that to make that swap work, you need the entire system, motor, harness, and ECM. Try what you asked about, and I suspect you will give your onboard ECM a lobotomy. But I'm just guessing, I have no experience with the newer trucks.
    Brian L.