1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

6.2 injector pump problems concerning WVO

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by mespe, Jul 6, 2011.

1. mespe

mespe New Member

I'm burning WVO in my 1984 Burb. Everything was running fine until yesterday. I drove aboue 2 miles to my shop and in the parking lot, it stalled. I opened the hood and saw fuel leaking from the fuel pump, so I figure the fuel pump might be bad letting air into the system. So I replace the fuel pump drive around the parking lot, and all is fine. Drive the truck to my new shop (about 2 or 3 miles) and just as I pull into the parking lot, she stalls. I figure at this point, maybe the fuel filter is clogged, so I replaced it (and bled the air the proper way) and she started up, and stalled.

Now I'm thinking that possibly there is a screen inside the IP, like my F250 6.9 diesel had. Could be that the crud deposited over the years was cleaned by the WVO and that the screen is clogged up.

I don't think it is the tank strainer simply because when the vice grips unclamped, the WVO flowed through the fuel line without restriction.

I managed to drive the truck back to the old shop, mostly in L2 or L1 where as long as throttle was applied, and RPM up and fuel consumption low, the truck would run. As soon as I removed throttle she would stall.

Where's the screen?
  2. Asphalt Animal

Asphalt Animal Rockstar 100 Posts

Not too familiar with 6.2L, but it is a DB2 pump, and suggest maybe the WVO could be causing the problem. Some people do very well, from what I have seen, running it; others have problems quickly as it doesn't lube the pump very well. On the WVO forums some people mentioned when they have issues they add a good lubricant and it seems to help them out for a while. I doubt this is the problem, but worth consideration.
    Also a thought, the pressure relief valve might have a screen within it and if this creates a blockage, it could cause a stall/no start condition.

Is there anything else you notice that is out of the norm? Any unusual smoke or anything?