6.2 upgrades

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by RAYSRANDP, Sep 13, 2010.

1. RAYSRANDP

RAYSRANDP New Member

hi i am new to diesels i was wondering if a 1990 6.2 manifold was an upgrade for my 87 i can purchase a 1990 6.2 with 14000 k on it and it has a bigger manifold the person bought it from a army surplus place he has all the paper work it also has two thermostats and a set of headers. he told me the army still uses this type of motor in there humvees is this true or a load found very little on this motor thanks

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. Sorry can't help with your question, but I'm sure someone on this site can.

3. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site! Glad to have you here!

4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTC! From what I remember, the '87 and '90 model diesels were totally different. Good luck!

5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Sorry I do not have the answer to your question...but welcome!!! I am sure someone here has an answer (or 2).

6. RAYSRANDP

RAYSRANDP New Member

I want to thank everyone for your help the 90 manifold bolted right up the motor runs a lot better i ported the manifold and turned up the pump . I also added dual 2and half inch pipes this is a huge improvement over the gas motor

7. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club!

8. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

******Thread moved**********
    If you have any questions you are more than welcome to PM and i will be happy to explain. Also welcome aboard.

9. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

why not just get a 96's exhaust manifolds with the turbo on it and do a turbo? The manifolds cost only like $500 with the turbo, then just take the rest of the turbo with it.

10. RAYSRANDP

RAYSRANDP New Member

I did not no that the 6.5 manifold would fit i asked on other sites and they sid they would be shorter i looked up the gaskets and they are different part numbers so i was just trying to get the hp from mods to the na motor with the mods ive already done huge improvement i like the diesel do you no where i can source a turbo and manifold thanks