GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

6.6 duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by ozzie, Apr 6, 2014.

1. ozzie

ozzie New Member

what year was the lbz engine mabe , and is it the best for all around fuel mileage and power! Looking to buy but don't know which motor to look for! thanks for the help Ozzie
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

2006- 2007.5 so they can be hard to come by some times. It also had some of the best power add ons and comes with the 6 speed Allison not the 5 speed of the previous years.
  3. ozzie

ozzie New Member

Ok I guess what I need to know is the lbz the best duramax or is there a better one out there that will get mileage and power! Don't need loads of power just pulling a camper , boat ect. thanks again Ozzie
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

For an used truck the LBZ is the best for milage and power but the newest trucks are by far more powerful and more fuel efficient but they have alot of emissions stuff to worry about. The LBZ also has less emission stuff that restricts the engine.
  5. 05DuramaxLLY

05DuramaxLLY New Member

Hi I can personally tell you to stick with an older duramax the newer ones have a diesel particulate filter that goes into whats called a "regen" mode where it cleans out the filter. In the process it will make your mileage tank into the single digits. The new LMM duramax's go into "regen" every tank of diesel you go through along with having to have the diesel exhaust fluid as well (2010+). However the LML duramax's (2007.5-2009 I think) do not require the diesel exhaust fluid and go into "regen" mode less often. If your looking for fantastic mileage stick with a 6 speed allison transmission and whichever duramax you'd like. I can say in my LLY with the 5 speed allison I get about 16 in the city and 23 on the highway with oversized rims and tires. I hope that information helps.
  6. ozzie

ozzie New Member

05, thanks for the info; I'm looking to buy a used truck , was thinking that I had been told that the LBZ was the best duramax for what I want ; fuel mileage being at the top of the list! thanks for the help. Ozzie
  7. 05DuramaxLLY

05DuramaxLLY New Member

I would say the best way to go would be the LBZ for fuel mileage. Check http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/ there you can find out just about anything you need to know on duramax's. Most people to maximize fuel mileage/ power put an air intake exhaust and tuner on their trucks as well so that might also be something you may want to consider.
  8. ozzie

ozzie New Member

Thanks 05 will look over there.