1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

6 CD Changer suddenly inop

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by stinger44, Jan 1, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. stinger44

stinger44 New Member

My Bose 6 CD player just stopped working. Won't play CDs, can't change nor eject any CDs; none of the CD related buttons work at all. The radio works fine, just no function from the CD player. Anyone experience this? Not getting an error message of any kind either. :grrrrrr:

I have a an 04 Silverado 1500.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The mechanisms in the bose radios can get jammed. when I bought my 05 the previous owner had jammed a few cds in the player. I was also not getting any error messages. I took it apart and discovered that the mechanism was badly bent. It cost me less then $100 to fix it, Here in the link for the write up I did on the repair. http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...sc-changer-for-under-100?highlight=fixed bose

From my pictures you should be able to figure out how to get it apart and check it out. The load and eject motor is also known to go bad. If you want to know where I bought my new mech from send me a pm. You can buy them complete for around $135 with a core charge or you can just buy the mech and switch your board over like I did, it was around $82 shipped.
  3. stinger44

stinger44 New Member

I don't think I jammed it but it could be the loading/ejecting maybe went bad. It's pretty cold up my way, I'll probably go without for the winter and fix it this spring or when it warms up a little. Thanks for DIY link!
  4. stinger44

stinger44 New Member

Another question for you regarding your link for the write-up you did. First, I took the unit out of the dash and tried to physically get the discs out with no luck. Even after taking all the parts off you explained. Looks like I would have to take the whole thing apart. I did turn that little thumb wheel thingy (you can see what I'm talking about on your 8th picture down on your write-up) and the mechanism somehow released and I saw one of the discs dislodge from the holding mechanism. However, the disc wasn't visible in the slot so I could see it. I thought for sure that thumbwheel was there for specifically for the purpose of manually ejecting discs.

I gave up and reintalled the unit back in the truck and now the unit isn't reading any discs in the carousel at all. The display says "no discs" even when I hit the eject button. The load button doesn't display anything and the CD changer does nothing. Not sure what turning that thumbwheel gear did.

Any ideas on how to proceed from here?
    Thanks.
  5. Pikey

From what I have been told, anytime you try to manually remove discs like that you damage the mechanism beyond repair. What yours is doing now is what mine did before I replaced the mechanism.
  6. stinger44

stinger44 New Member

So I'm out of luck.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Not out of luck -- you just need to pull it apart, troubleshoot, and repair it using Pikey's write-up and/or parts info (obtained from him via PM).
  8. Pikey

Not really! Like I had said in my post, it cost less than $100 to fix with a new mechanism. Then, after you get the new mech you can disassemble the old one and get your discs out.
  9. stinger44

stinger44 New Member

You're right, I'll look into it.
    Thx