Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

6" Fabtech lift kit on a 02 2500 8.1 liter Vortec.

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Jason2325, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Jason2325

Jason2325 Member

I'm currently trying to decide on lifting my Silverado. I want to lift it 6" with like 37" or 38" tires on it, but I want to know how much this will reduce my towing capacity. If there is anyone who has lifted this size engine be for I would love some advice and help.
  2. SWAT13

SWAT13 Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

37's will be just fine..but ur gonna need a hella drop hitch!!!! lol
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

if you go that big with the tires you will want to regear or you will lose some of your low end power for towing. On the hitch yes you will need a bigger drop hitch. I found one for my truck that drops 7.5" and you can adjust it with the trailer attached for leveling. I also have one that drops 11.5 inches that i use for a small trailer I tow . I got the 11.5" drop one from harbor freight for like 25 dollars but like I said that one just tows a small 1500lb trailer. The other one I use for the heavier trailers.
  4. Jason2325

Jason2325 Member

Ya on the topic of re-gearing, I was just kicking around the idea of a super charger on the 8.1 liter. Only problem is my model Allison only handles like 350 or 450 horse powers. Where the super charger ads 150hp. Just a wild idea I've seen people do it in YouTube its some crazy power.
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I don't remember if the 2500's are IFS or not. I will assume they are. I think that a 38" tire is too much for that suspension. I understand it is a 2500 but the added weight of the tires seems too much to me. Not sure how they beefed it up for the added capacity so I may be way off base with what I just said. If that is the case I am sorry for wasting your time.
  6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

The 2500 has ifs but it is stronger than the 1500. Bigger ball joints etc. I know the recommendation on the 1500 is no bigger than 35s. I would think 37s should be fine on the 2500. As with anytime you go bigger juzt gotta check everything a little more often. Even moreso if he is gonna do more offroading etc.

To the OP. Especially if you go real big tires with the supercharger i think gears would be important. With all the extra power and then weight of the tires. Breaking things would be a good possibility. Transmission rearend etc.
  7. Jason2325

Jason2325 Member

Well I'm not to educated on the Allison trany but I know mine only can withstand 450hp and if I super charge it I know I'm going to have to replace it. What I want to do it replace it with a Allison that can take 550hp safely and I'd also put a chip in it to help with the shifts (not sure which one to go with yet) but I think i might just superchage it cause all that power and a lift kit wouldn't set to good.
  8. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

When are you planning to get the lift done? I'm really curious to see how it turns out with the 37s. I've been considering doing a 4" if I could fit 35s. I should be able to do it, but everything I've read says 6" for 35s. However, I know the tires I have on the stock truck right now are about a 32.5" diameter.
  9. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

2002 2500 should be able to fit 35" tires with a 4" lift, 37" with 6". Try a BDS suspension lift, they offer 6.5" or 7".
  10. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

I have seen and will be getting a torque converter for the dirty dog, that will allow you 150 +horse power... you will need to retune and retrain the trans after installed.... I have been told that this is best done by the Allison service department... but I personally have messed with the retraining of the Trans, on dirty dog with a Edge Evolution CTS and have had no issues....here is the link for you on the torque converter..http://www.transmissioncenter.net/allison1000.htm and i have found others out there as well.....
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012