1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

6" Lift Kit for 2001 Suburban 4x4 w/o autoride

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by My4xburbanrocks, May 22, 2011.

1. My4xburbanrocks

My4xburbanrocks New Member

Let's hear all you suburban owners opinions on the best kit for the price....
  2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts

I don't own a 'burb but BDS makes a really nice lift kit. What's your budget?
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

Save your money andbuy the good stuff. A lift kit is not the place to cut corners. BDS, Rancho and Skyjacker all make well enginnered and good quality kits.
  4. My4xburbanrocks

Budget.....that's a tricky word...... Yeah, I have a budget but at the same time certain items like your suspension, engine, drive train, brakes etc should not be discounted. I guess what saying is if I can get a setup that cost $2500 vs $4500 and I'm not compromising safety and reliability then of course I would go the lessor.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

I would take your time and shop around. Are you going to install yourself? Back in '96 I put ProComp on my '96 'Burb, replaced it a year later with Rancho that is still on today. The ProComp was pure crap!

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Your 'Burb has rear coil springs that are replaced with the lift kits so you want to get a good quality kit so the springs don't sag in a year and ride like a tank.
  6. My4xburbanrocks

@silveradotrailblazer, When I was younger I would have done this without the use of a lift but these days are a different story so most likely I will be having it installed. I'm also thinking about assisting the rear with air leveling kit. What do you guys think about the CST Suspension?
  7. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts

Haven't had any experience with CST but I haven't heard any bad things about their products.
  8. silveradotrailblazer

CST is a very good kit, I would have no problems installing one of there kits on my truck, although I'm a BDS,Rancho and Skyjacker fan.
  9. My4xburbanrocks

But what makes you a fan of those? I've come to realize that in researching these lift kits that everyone doesn't include the same equipment in their kit. So what makes one kit better than the next? Should I be looking for a particular component that's a must have?.
  10. silveradotrailblazer

When I had my ProComp kit on my 'Burb it creeked and moaned when I made turns or when off-road. The brackets weren't gusseted or boxed-in. It handled bad at highway speeds. The Rancho kit I replaced the ProComp with had boxed-in and gusseted brackets and was fine at highway speeds. We lifted 2-3 trucks a day and we never had issues with the BDS, Rancho and Skyjacker kits. They fit and are well enginnered. When you do this everyday you learn what kits go on with no problems and which ones have to have new parts ground down or bolt holes enlarged to make them fit. We had several SuperLift and TrailMaster kits come with brackets not completely welded together (scary). RoughCountry springs will sag and jar your teeth loose. I'm not trying to put down anybody's truck that has one of these kits but I can only tell you what we came across.