1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

600hp turbo silverado build suggestions

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Shakeablegoose, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Shakeablegoose

Shakeablegoose New Member

I am planning on turning my 2004 chevy silverado 1500 ls 4.8l extended cab long bed into a 500-600hp beast. I was thinking of running a Precision PT6266 turbo or a PT6766 turbo with the 750hp universal intercooler, pw46 external wastegate, TiAl 50mm BOV, NLR AMS-500 boost controller, and possibly the Wilson 90mm throttle body. I would have custom piping bent and it would be a front mount turbo and i would change up the camshaft, injectors, etc. too. Of course i would upgrade my transmission with the monster 650hp rated upgrade kit for my 4l60e and would probably get a driveshaft out of a 2500 or somthing and mod it to fit. What do you guys think i should do differently?
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Start with a 6.0....
  3. Shakeablegoose

the 4.8l will easily make that much power with no problem, i forgot who did it but some company rebuilt a junkyard 4.8l with only replacing the camshaft and some other minor things and they made 40 1/4 mile passes with that engine making 1236hp on a engine stand dyno i believe and on the 40th pass something electronical messed up. I can't remember what it was but it was not because of the excess power. So the 4.8l should do just fine and i do not want to do a 6.0 swap if i dont have to.
  4. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

You will want to upgrade your rearend, at those power levels the 10 Bolt won't last very long. The Vortec Max equiped trucks used the 9.5 in. semi-floating 14 Bolt, which will bolt right in.
  5. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Is it a 4 bolt main? I wouldn't run a lot of boost if it isn't. Not being a big fan of turbos and turbo lag have you looked into a compound set up. It's can give you a lot better torque curve. Make sure you take that driveshaft to get balanced if you have to cut it otherwise you drop that thing on the road. I'd beef up everything from the flywheel back
  6. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

All Gen III/IV LSx series V8s are 6-bolt mains, and Y-blocks, which are significantly stronger than older SBC/Vortec engines.

- - - Updated - - -

It was Hot Rod magazine. Here's the article:
    http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  7. Shakeablegoose

I am also looking at replicating hot rod magazines twin turbo build in the link, just to see what it does. I'm sure i would have fun with it!!! I wish i knew what exact turbo and fuel injectors they used i am interested in that, i might have to ask them.
  8. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

9. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That makes me almost rethinking a supercharger for my truck. I've always been against turbos and all roots style.
  10. Shakeablegoose

Should i do a twin turbo setup with those two 76mm turbo's from cxracing or a single bigger turbo such as the precision PT6766 or PT6266 thats rated to higher hp? The twin turbo will be harder to design and much more work but i think it would be worth it. The single turbo would probably have more lag but would only be running probably at about 8-10psi but would be alot simpiler and easier to maintain. What do you guys think and this build wont be taking place till probably summer 2013 so i have awhile to get the money to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

what years vortec max rear end will bolt right in? I'm sure i could find one in a junkyard with a nice rear end in it.