1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

6cyl to 8cyl engine swap ??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by SSrado, Apr 5, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. SSrado

SSrado New Member

I've got a 1999 silverado single cab 5spd , I'm looking to turn this into an SS single cab . But of course I can't ride around with the exterior modified as an SS and not have any balls under the hood .. I'm not sure what 8cyl I'm going to go with just yet a regular 350,LT1 and an LS1 is what I have in mind .. However in not sure what else i need besides tranny and motor mounts. I've been told I may need to swap out cross member and drive shaft as well .. Can anybody help me out here ??

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome to the site!!!

I have no experience with the old school 350's, but I will shed a little light for you.

LT1 swap very affordable, and easy to find parts for. Your existing transmission won't bolt up to it, so you would have to buy an adapter or just get the matching transmission from the LT1` donor vehicle. (recommended) Wiring you would be doing an obd1-obd2 conversion, I have done this and it's not that hard.

LS1 swap very expensive, most popular for a reason. Very large aftermarket following for parts and upgrades, It is CRUCIAL to get a complete drivetrain no missing components. Otherwise you'll pay out the nose for some stuff, transmission possibilities are endless. 4l60e, 4l80e etc. Wiring a lot more involved, but still doable.

Projected cost of both swaps LT1 swap $4,000 LS1 swap $10,000

My best advice price everything first, and then base your decision on your budget. If I had to do another swap it would be an LT1 swap, my LS1 swap was crazy on so many levels.

3. SSrado

SSrado New Member

Thanx a lot buddy , I really appriciate you taking the time to shine some light on my build, I'm going to look into the older 350 blocks but if it's the same process I might as well go with the LT1, Ive found one with the transmission out of a 96 camaro for 700$. I'm not looking for anything radical, I just want some more "go" in my truck since I'm cloning a SS. So the 6 banger needs to be pulled !!

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I bought my 94 LT1 setup also for $700.00, I got lucky mine came with the aluminum heads 2.02" valves. I upgraded to the LT4 intake, and 58mm Holley throttle body, Hooker long tube headers and everything else is stock. Very strong running, nice sounding engine.

Your definately going to need access to good diagrams for wiring, check out lt1swap.com. He has complete swap records, and the absolute goldmine for info on LT1's is shbox.com This will help with EVERYTHING else.