70 MPG Electric Chevy Truck? Nope, it's Via Motors!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by ChevyFan, Jan 16, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Just saw this video and had to share, I guess Via Motors has been taking late model Chevy & GMC trucks and turning them into high HP electric trucks - basically a Truck version of the Chevy Volt. Looks interesting to say the least. I wasn't sure what to think of it, except Bob Lutz is behind it, so it's got my attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5STy6HRZEQ

Here's what Fox News has to say about it.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I want one! Well, I actually want the system in my yukon xl

3. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

$70,000 or somewhere around that. I bet.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Here are some photos. They make a Truck, SUV and Van ... all based on GM Platforms and using technology similar to what's found in the Chevy Volt.

VIA-Truck-Electrified-Extended-Cab-gray-b-300x125.jpg
    Extended-Range Electric VTrux

suv-300x111.png
    Road-trip ready Electric SUV

VIA-vtrux-cargo-van1.jpg
    Electric Vans for long-range delivery

Learn more at: http://www.viamotors.com/

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I looked at their site. It looks like $79000. But, they show the same price for the suburban model and the truck model. $79000 is not all that crazy for a new suburban with the electric system. A base model 2013 suburban starts at $44000.

6. lube70

lube70 Member

wonder

Wonder if the towing is still there? Most electric motors provide enormous torque so maybe it does have great towing capability

what do you think??

7. CowsPatoot

CowsPatoot Member

The towing was my first thought too. I usually only tow about 4k, so I only need reasonable numbers...but I tow long distance. So...if the truck is capable of towing 4-5k lbs through the mountains on a 1000 mile non-stop trip, and still maintain better fuel mileage than the current range of gas trucks, then I could see it being useful.

But then there is the drawback...the price. Seriously now...how long are those batteries going to last (and how much will it cost to replace them), and how much do you really spend every year on gas? At the end of the day, it comes down to money.

I don't think we are quite at a point where it makes financial sense to "go green"...but things like this do give us hope for the future.

8. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

I wonder where the break even point is on $79,000...... ? 20 years? I think I will pass (for those of us that don't have incomes over $75,000 a year.:lol:

I think the "break even" point on a loaded LTZ Dmax will be half the time it would be with that truck.

9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Your current gas/diesel GM truck can't do a 1000 mile non-stop trip, so it's unfair to hold an electric to that standard. (Your trip is not technically non-stop since you are stopping for fuel.)

10. CowsPatoot

CowsPatoot Member

Valid point, but my intent was that I don't have to wait for things to recharge in the middle. I have to stop for refreshments more often than my truck does.