1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

700R4 capability

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by BurbanMan, Feb 3, 2014.

1. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

See a lot of threads regarding 3/4 ton suburbans, but none on the 1/2 ton lineup! Anyway, I have a 90 v1500 with the 700R4 and I'm considering hauling a 76 Plymouth duster on my way back from visiting Tulsa, ok. It's about 1k miles and lots of big hills. The car itself weighs about 3,200lbs and will probably put it on a u-haul trailer. how will I fair with 214,xxx miles?
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If your transmission is in reasonably good condition, and you install a transmission cooler (heat is the killer of auto trans), and you shift into 3rd on the hills, you should be ok.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That's the million dollar question for me too. I have no clue how many pounds a stock 700R4 is rated to pull, but, they are used in the "light-duty" 3/4 ton pickups, so they have to be reasonably strong.

Once a year I tow my 10,000 pounds worth of camper with my 1991 Suburban 1500 and several times a year I regularly tow 6000+ pounds of car trailer with various vehicles and loads. Whenever I'm not towing empty, I'm in drive, not OD. I have a nice-sized stacked-plate cooler and a deep transmission pan and don't have any troubles.

I'd say with a cooler, you'd be fine hauling the Duster around.
  4. BurbanMan

boy I sure hope I answer that question right! Lol

I know I have a factory tow package that includes engine oil cooler and the tranny cooler is in the radiator for whatever that is worth
  5. Crawdaddy

You really need an external cooler as the factory one in the radiator doesn't cool well enough.
  6. BurbanMan

ok. I figured that's what was being hinted at. What is a good operating temp for the tranny and where should the fitting for the trans temp gauge be installed?
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

8. BurbanMan

thanks!!!!
  9. Crawdaddy

My average transmission pan temperature when cruising down the interstate at 70 with no trailer is typically around 175-200. The temp when towing a trailer doesn't really change from that.
  10. BurbanMan

Where should I install the trans temp sending unit?