Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

700r4: No 3rd or OD, may be shot!!!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 1991 K2500, May 13, 2010.

1. 1991 K2500

1991 K2500 New Member

1991 k2500 5.7 tbi

My trans is about to drive me nuts! I was on my way to work this morning and it wouldn't shift into third gear. So I pulled over and checked the fluid, it was good. So I played around with it and noticed that when I put it in D that it won't shift into second but if if put it in OD it will shift into second, but not third. Its like its a gear behind. When its in OD it shifts fine from 1 to 2 and don't slip or anything it just won't go into third. What is going on!!!! I came home and changed the filter and fluid. I didn't see anything in the pan, just a few specs of what looked like dirt or just trash. Filled it back up, no difference. I'm guessing its shot. What do you think?

2. drphillgood

drphillgood New Member

LOL

Not meaning to laugh as in haha...just this same thing happened to me YESTERDAY!!! On my 91 k2500!!! cept now it has no reverse :( Im set on getting the stupid thing rebuilt because I havn't heard that it could be anything else. Sorry man, but Im in the same boat as you...try not to rock it ><

Anyone have ideas on this would be awesome...I'd really like to not couph up 1k, but it seems like its the only route atm

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  3. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

If it still shifts into 2nd good, it means your 3-4 clutch pack has probably burned up.... Meaning it's time for a rebuild......

Unless you've done it before, I highly recommend just coughing up the money and have someone that does it all the time rebuild it........ ask me why I say that :grrrrrr: better yet.... just do a search in here for my thread about it....... :rolleyes:

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Did you play around with the TV cable any? There is no adjustment on the TV cable, there's only a very specific set procedure. Attempting to "adjust" the cable will result in the transmission not shifting correctly and ultimately burning up.

5. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

I've got a used trans out of a 92 yukon 4x4 that's in real good shape. I can find out if it'd interchange for sure, but I'd think it should. It's got some miles on it (200k+), but when i drained the fluid on it it was completely clean, no clutch material at all, and it shifted well when I drove it before parting it. I'd take 200 + shipping for it, if you want to save the money. PM me your address and I'll find out how much truck freight would be.

Jason

6. drphillgood

drphillgood New Member

I'll have to get back to you about that tranny...but it sounds like a good option. The shop told me mines gone and would have to rebuild at a price of $2000 >< Cant afford that, so looking to do myself or wife says...JUNKYARD! :( Transmissions have always been my bane, we'll see what happens.

7. dualdj1

yep this is basically the same as what you'd get from a junkyard trans, cept I know this one was working good, and I just want to get rid of it (no use for it) so probly be cheaper than a yard :). I'll double check and make sure it'll interchange for ya, and can go from there. It's sittin in my garage and will come with torque converter as well if you want it.

8. hammer time

hammer time New Member

Where I live you can exchange the same transmission for $800.00. This is for a rebuilt with torque converter. As far as the tranny with 200K, it is living on borrowed time. Most people are lucky to get 120,000 out of them.

9. dualdj1

The rebuilt is the better way to go for sure if you can afford it. If not, the trans I got is a good one. The last 80k miles or so was all highway mileage, and it wasn't off roaded at all during that time. not sure about before my friend bought the truck. No worries either way, do what's best for your situation.