Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

700R4 shifts to hard

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by beltman, Mar 24, 2009.

1. beltman

beltman New Member

Hey Guys, I just bought a 87' chevy silv. 4x4. The truck has a nw jasper engine with a holley 502-6 TBI and has headers. The owner told me it had a 700R4 with a shift kit. I can not tell due to it shifts differently at times. It hits hard shifting from 1st to 2nd at about 4500rpm And sometimes does not shift back down to 1st at a complete stop.It will start off in 2nd or 3rd. Can anyone help?
  2. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

My burb shifts hard in first if your driving normal.. If you pussyfoot it, or really get on it, it shifts fine.. but if your accelorating normally, it hits really hard..
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like your governor is hanging up if you're getting 2nd gear starts. If something inside the trans is wearing and shedding metal the governor is one of the first valves that will stick. You can pop the cover off the governor and check it. The valve inside the governor should be free.

Jim
  4. BlackBetty350

BlackBetty350 New Member

sounds like your kickdown cable is not adjusted right. mine has the same problem. unhooked and now i shift manually with my B&M slapstick
  5. johnmeade2

johnmeade2 New Member

I would suggest taking it to a local tranny shop to have them check it out before you do more damage, if something broke loose or is grinding up in your tranny it could go from a $300 fix to a $1500 fix.