700r4 tranny slipping?hardshift.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by roman, Nov 30, 2010.

1. roman

roman New Member

hey guys i have an 89 silverady 350 with a 700r4 trans. it was slipping so i did a fluid change cuz it was low and dark. all though it fixed the shifting from 1-2 and form 2-3 when its in 3rd it revs super hard and it takes forever to jump to 4th. i dont have a rpm meter but im sure it tuns up high. i was looking into geting a new trans. would it be easier to buy a new one or fix this one? Also if i get another trans (used one) what other trans bolts up? can i get a 5speed newer one?

thanks in advance.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Alright well is the check engine light on?? I know the ODB1 wasnt great for codes but still gotta ask.
    You might want to consider doing a Throttle Position Sensor sweep test as well since the TPS actually controls the shift points for the tranny
    As to the tranny rebuild, or used, or new is all a bit of work but still doable with hand tools. A 5SPD will bolt right in out of a 1988-1994 Chevy. You will want to try and get yourself a donor truck so you have all the parts and it just makes things easier.

3. roman

roman New Member

no the check engine light is not on. i found a used tranny from the a 90 for 200 bucks. it looks in good shape but who know. is that a good price or is it a normal price?

4. murdog94

Pretty good price, since the junk yard can go as high as $450 around here

5. roman

roman New Member

oh so its worth getting it. do you by any chance know if its hard to swap. just looking at it when i did the fluid change it didnt look difficult. not alot of things to remove.

6. murdog94

As i said its pretty easy with hand tools and if you have a 2wd it is even easier.

7. Crazeetxn

Crazeetxn Rockstar

Had the same setup on my '86. Went to go work one day, shifted 1-2, but wouldn't go 2-3. Before that though, would rev high then shift 2-3, but that only lasted a couple of days. Had it rebuilt and paid $1,100 with a 1 yr warranty. Could've done the swap myself, but couldn't find a suitable swap. Guy said the clutch packs were notorious for going bad, so I said, ok, see you in a few years :)

Had a buddy swap out his tranny in his '86 for a manual. Said no problems and he loved it. Know that doesn't help much with your '89, but that's my 2 cents for the day.

8. roman

roman New Member

yea thanks alot any info helps. but yea my friend is gonna help me out hopefully its a just 1 or 2 days work. ill let you know how it comes out and post up some pictures. thanks again guys.