1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

700r4 tranny slipping?hardshift.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by roman, Nov 30, 2010.

1. roman

roman New Member

hey guys i have an 89 silverady 350 with a 700r4 trans. it was slipping so i did a fluid change cuz it was low and dark. all though it fixed the shifting from 1-2 and form 2-3 when its in 3rd it revs super hard and it takes forever to jump to 4th. i dont have a rpm meter but im sure it tuns up high. i was looking into geting a new trans. would it be easier to buy a new one or fix this one? Also if i get another trans (used one) what other trans bolts up? can i get a 5speed newer one?

thanks in advance.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Alright well is the check engine light on?? I know the ODB1 wasnt great for codes but still gotta ask.
    You might want to consider doing a Throttle Position Sensor sweep test as well since the TPS actually controls the shift points for the tranny
    As to the tranny rebuild, or used, or new is all a bit of work but still doable with hand tools. A 5SPD will bolt right in out of a 1988-1994 Chevy. You will want to try and get yourself a donor truck so you have all the parts and it just makes things easier.
  3. roman

roman New Member

no the check engine light is not on. i found a used tranny from the a 90 for 200 bucks. it looks in good shape but who know. is that a good price or is it a normal price?
  4. murdog94

Pretty good price, since the junk yard can go as high as $450 around here
  5. roman

roman New Member

oh so its worth getting it. do you by any chance know if its hard to swap. just looking at it when i did the fluid change it didnt look difficult. not alot of things to remove.
  6. murdog94

As i said its pretty easy with hand tools and if you have a 2wd it is even easier.
  7. Crazeetxn

Crazeetxn Rockstar

Had the same setup on my '86. Went to go work one day, shifted 1-2, but wouldn't go 2-3. Before that though, would rev high then shift 2-3, but that only lasted a couple of days. Had it rebuilt and paid $1,100 with a 1 yr warranty. Could've done the swap myself, but couldn't find a suitable swap. Guy said the clutch packs were notorious for going bad, so I said, ok, see you in a few years :)

Had a buddy swap out his tranny in his '86 for a manual. Said no problems and he loved it. Know that doesn't help much with your '89, but that's my 2 cents for the day.
  8. roman

roman New Member

yea thanks alot any info helps. but yea my friend is gonna help me out hopefully its a just 1 or 2 days work. ill let you know how it comes out and post up some pictures. thanks again guys.