700R4 Transmission identification question

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by markerman, Feb 2, 2014.

1. markerman

markerman New Member

Hello, I am about to replace the transmission in my '83 K5 Blazer.

this is a picture of the transmission that was in the truck:

[​IMG]

this is a picture of the transmission that I want to put in the truck. I noticed there is a difference in the upper left corner.

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two transmissions? On the outside they both look like 700R4 transmissions.

Thank you very much, Mark

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Over the 700R4's run, GM made modifications to the transmission to make it better. I don't recall what changes were made when, but a later-year transmission will of course have all the changes made up to that point. Additionally, if either transmission has been professionally rebuilt, the rebuilder may have applied all the changes to get it current. The serial number should be on the passenger side pan rail of the transmission. Here's a guide to help you decipher the serial number: http://www.technicalvideos.com/what_year_700R4.phtml

3. jdavis25

jdavis25 Member

The one with the lube tube And the internal thermoster is I wanna say is 87 up can't really tell but the other one is pre 85 or 86 can't quite remember but totally different trans