Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

72 chev 4x4 3/4 ton truck

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Ponch458, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Ponch458

Ponch458 New Member

I just bought a pretty straight 72 chevy 4x4. It has a 6 inch lift kit. It steers very poorly. All the steering parts are new or tight. Anyone have any ideas?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

With 6" of lift I'm gonna guess it has larger than stock tires, so with that in mind 2 places I would check:
    Check the worm gear in the steering box for excess play, very common with older trucks, normally they have a slotted screw sticking out the top of the box with a locking nut around it, back the nut off a little and turn the screw, I think it's clockwise but I'm not positive it's been a few years since I messed with one, then tighten down the nut again, you want to tighten the worm gear up, if it tightens the steering, but after a few miles it goes loose again you'll need to replace or rebuild the steering box because the packings and shims are worn.
    The second place I'd check would be at the frame rail where the steering box connects to the frame and where the pitman arm connects to the frame, older lifted GM's have a history of cracking the frame at these points, if it is cracked I'd look for a frame repair kit to fix it, yea you could probably cobble something together but the frame repair kits in my experience always do a better job.
    Also check to see that when they did the lift they put a dropped pitman arm on, the pitman arm should run parallel to the frame, if it has any angle on it this will cause steering issues, mostly bump steer but it can turn up feeling like loose steering too.
  3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! You might try the "technical" forums, lots of folks willing to help.
  4. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!! Sounds like a nice project you got going there. Pictures please!!!
  5. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

X2 and Welcome aboard!