1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

76 chevy tail lights keep poppin fuses

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by hick_boy630, Nov 29, 2008.

1. hick_boy630

hick_boy630 New Member

ok so im new to this site but i need some major help i keep poppin fuses every time i turn on the lights ive tryied to find all possible shorts and cant find anything i need help
  2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site. From what I can remember, there was a problem with the "grounding" on the tail lights around that period of time on Chevy tail lights. I had a '76 & '77, but only had the problem on the '76. Good luck!
  3. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

So, you have No open wires, casings or freys on any wires? Bulb sockets are ok? Short or broken ground wires to the frames. Check the grounds on the back by the rear harness and the truck bed, they get corrosion from snow/water and break at the connector.
    You have a open wire/ground some place in the harness because of the fuses still blowing. Do you have a test light? Ground it and put it in the socket and see if it blows the fuse. You don't have any aftermarket hooked into the harness for the tailights that you know of?
  4. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site. I agree with the above statements, it has to be an open ground somewhere. I use a continuity function on the multimeters.
  5. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Check! Most excellent point to note....... trace all ends.....

Jeff
  6. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I had this problem on my 78 a few years ago. One of the wires had been pinched between the tail light and the body and finally shorted out. Repaired the wire and tucked it back where it was supposed to go and had no more problems.
  7. bassalive

bassalive Rockstar 100 Posts

I agree with above. There has to be a bad ground at the light itself or frame or possibly if there has been trailer lights installed check that connection too.