1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'78 Scottsdale Fleetside!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by slowbullet, Oct 6, 2010.

1. slowbullet

slowbullet New Member

Hi All,

I am new here and a new owner of an old vehicle. I have had it about a year now and have been having issues with the fuel tanks and selector switch. The fuel only seems to come out of the right tank only for some reason even if the selector is set to left tank. With a full tank on both sides the selector has to be set to left always. If it is set to right, the vehicle stalls!

The left tank hasn't been empty in six months according to the fuel guage. It seems to me that fuel is being sucked out of the right tank as it burns fro the left to keep it full.

I have replaced both tanks, sending units, selector valve and it still gives me the same issue. I have no clue.

I hope someone else out there have had similar issues that can give me some insight!
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club! Sorry, I do not have your answer but I am sure someone will respond shortly who does.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club. Sorry can't help with your fuel issue but I'm sure someone on this site can.
  4. RWK

RWK New Member

Hi. Welcome to the Club.

Did you replace the Selector Switch itself? I remember my dad talking about wiring in a switch while driving the new truck back to Alaska. He said the switch inside the cab went out and he wired in a switch until he got back to Alaska and then the dealership put in a new switch for him. He said when the switch fails, it will only draw out of the right tank.
  5. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Hey Slowbullet, Welcome to the GM Truck Club.
    My Dad also had one of these with dual tanks "1976 Camper special". In addition to what RWK posted above, did you also check the valve that is under the truck that actually does all the switching/routing of the fuel?? The switch on the dash in my Dads truck only changed the guage to read L or R tank, AND controlled the valve underneath the truck that distributes the fuel. This is what went bad on his truck was the valve underneath.
    The valve was $60.00 (20 years ago) so he had me eliminate it and hook both tanks together so the pump would draw fuel from both/either tank at the same time. Don't know how much that valve costs today maybe $100.00... ouch!!