1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

79' Chevy Scotsdale 350

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by racefann82003, Nov 9, 2006.

1. racefann82003

racefann82003 New Member

I have a 79' chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 pick-up, I replaced many parts and upgraded parts like , carb,headers,intake,etc......My problem is ,I hear a spark knock at high speeds or climbing hills. How do i eliminate this noise. Is there something i overlooked in my upgrades, or is it just fine tuning the timing or ajusting the carb??????? I need help??????
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

RE: 79

How loud is the noise?
  3. racefann82003

racefann82003 New Member

79' 350 chevy

the noise sounds like a bad gas sound , not very loud but very annoying,, i have headman headers and glass packs with staight pipes to get an idea, and i can hear it from inside the cab,,,,,,,
  4. ProzacKid

ProzacKid Rockstar 100 Posts

Is it an original 350 from 79 in your Scotsdale? If so, how many miles, etc?
  5. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Rockstar Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

Are you hearing the knock mostly under load? I agree, more information on the age/condition of your engine will give some clues.
  6. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You can back the timing off a little or try running a higher grade of gas. Either should help, but the gas is the easiest to start with.
  7. ChevyFan

Yes, it's always best to start simple. Keep the tank full, try a different brand with different additives and higher octane, etc.
  8. ChevyFan

any news?