1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

8.1 Beast of a motor.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by White Gardens, Mar 21, 2010.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens New Member

So I killed my old work truck and just recently purchased the truck in my Sig.

Can anyone give me any info on the 8.1 motor that is in this truck. It only has 23,000 heavily worked miles, so it might be more equivalent to 75,000 or so.

I just want to know if there has been any issues, good or bad, and what I should expect for durability.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The biggest gripe I've heard about the 8.1 is it's a thirsty engine, it'll run with power to spare all day long, as long as you got the money to feed it.
    So far after playing around with a few I hav'nt seen any upgrades that'll help in the MPG area, but there are quite a few more ponies that can be pulled out of the engine. Surprisingly the HP upgrades dont hurt the mileage much more than it is.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens New Member

MPG's aren't an issue. The truck is strictly a work truck and will rarely get used for any Daily Driver purposes. Any time it will get used it will either be hauling something, pulling something, or plowing something.

Heck, even the the 1/4 cab cover isn't very aerodynamically correct, and the truck weighs in at 9000 lbs empty.

So what is a good mod/tuner for Horse Power. So far I'm happy with the motor output as it has plenty of power even when loaded down with 3.5 tons of material, but I wonder what this motor is truly capable of.

Here is a pic. I don't know why but the image is smaller than I sized it.

Truck10.jpg

Here is a link to the same photo I loaded on another site.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=179790&d=1267987077

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens New Member

Bump,

Does anyone else have an opinion on this motor ???
  5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Probably not much opinion because no real problems. Maybe the usual GM intake manifold gasket leaks-no huge deal and latest gaskets usually cure it.

I would bet it is less expensive to run than the diesels. They seem to require expensive parts/repairs and your motor will probably last a long time.

Like tbplus10 said- it is thirsty-but since it is strictly a work truck-who cares.

You should do ok- cheap parts- cheap to repair-reliable- relatively low miles- indifferent to mpg- you are good to go.
  6. Montana

Montana Member

We had one here in our fleet. We used it here to hauil horses, quads and snomobiles. We had almost 100,000 miles on before it was replaced. We had more problems with the Allison Transmission and the body falling apart than the engine. I think that we did the intakes and that solved the oil consumption issues.
  7. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Great motor. I think everyone covered the major stuff. On a side note. I know somebody that's thinking about dropping one of those into a 2nd Gen Camaro.:surprised:
  8. White Gardens

White Gardens New Member

Been awhile since I have looked at this thread and thanks to everyone who replied.

Sounds like it's a good motor overall. So what was the deal with the intake and oil consumption Montana ??? I've been told that this motor likes to use oil, and that's just the nature of the beast.

Also, and I will correct my Sig, but it turns out I have the Chevy 4L80E transmission. And I might have an issue with that but I'm not sure yet.
  9. leomartin6

leomartin6 New Member

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011