1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

8.1 top end engine rebuild $3500???

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Jason2325, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Jason2325

Jason2325 Member

I went to a shop called Turbo Diesel and had a quote on how much that would charge me to rebuild the top half of my 8.1L. Keep in mind I already bought all the part from comp cams (cam shaft,rollers,lifters,valve springs,push rods,etc.) it cost like 1000 total. The man at the place told me it would take 30 hours at 90 dollars an hour. Just to install the parts was 3500 he estimated. I also was going to ask them to send my heads off to be shaved. He told me no telling what that will cost. Does this sound right to you?

2. geo1

geo1 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

get more quotes, if you handed over the heads to a machine shop to do everything,i would say 500 tops,the rest cant be more than,lets say a high hr.# 12,get more quotes

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I am not familiar with the disassembly of an 8.1, but I had $1,600 in the top end parts of my 5.7 LS1. We did all the work ourselves, It took nowhere near 30 hours and we are not professionals. We also had the engine on a stand, I am assuming they are doing this with the engine still in the truck??

As far as head work, why are you having the heads shaved?? Are you going to run MLS gaskets, and maybe a turbo setup with lower compression?? I know when I priced having my heads, ported, polished, stage 3 was all but $800+ from Patriot.

4. Jason2325

Jason2325 Member

Yea leaving the engine in the truck. I was shaving the heads down to help gain a few more PSI in my motor.

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would call some local machine shops. There are great places near me that will do a complete head rebuild for less than $300 a head.