1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

$8,500 repair bill from dealer | 5.3 L Engine with 39,000 - Bad Lifter

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by BTT2008, Dec 31, 2013.

1. BTT2008

BTT2008 New Member

Hey everyone,

I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z82 that I bought in June with around 39,000 miles on it. Truck ran great until last week when the Service Stabilitrack/Service Traction Control/Stabilitrack Off/Traction Control Off/Check Engine lights all came on at the same time while I was driving. Took it to my local GM dealer and they told me that there is a problem with one of the lifters and the 6th cylinder, and that it needs a brand new engine. $8,500. The vehicle had the standard 5 year/100,000 mile warranty, but since it is an '08, the warranty dated out in July. I called the dealer that I bought the car from and they have basically just been ignoring the messages I've been leaving for them.

The truck only has 44,000 miles now and I can't believe that a vehicle with such low mileage would need a brand new engine. I don't have $8,500 to fix it so basically I'm just without a vehicle now. Not sure what to do at this point but I'm very frustrated and upset.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

WOW That is Sad.. A guy who lives around the corner from me has a 2013 Avalanche Black Edition He had a problem with Cyc #7 and they replaced the whole motor after he raised his voice a bit.. I would see if you could get intouch with a Customer Service Person and see if they can help..

We have one who lurks on here and she has helped a few members..
  3. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

That kind of repair should really be looked at by GM customer service. Sometimes they will offer to split the bill on an out of warranty issue like this. It is unfortunate that it happened and would probably leave a bad taste in my mouth if nothing could be done by GM. Turning their back to you would and should not be in thier future interest keeping you as a customer.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

what would it cost to just replace the lifter? If gm will not help you out, I would get it out of the dealer and replace the lifter
  5. BTT2008

BTT2008 New Member

Appreciate the input so far...couple of things happened today. Mainly, I got the truck back from the dealer and took it to a shop that I trust and that I have gone to for years. Didn't tell them what the dealer said because I wanted to see what they thought of it. They had the truck for a couple of hours before they called and said, "You have problems with the engine that you probably don't want us to fix. You might want to contact a GM dealer and see what they can do for you." So, the second opinion lined up with the dealer's opinion.

Someone asked what it would cost to repair the lifter. Talking to the dealer yesterday they gave me two options for repair-

Option A: They take the engine out and rebuild it, essentially replacing everything bad with new parts. Cheaper for parts, but more expensive for labor as it is more time consuming. The price for that: ~$7,500, and they would give me a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty on the rebuilt engine.

Option B: Replace the engine with a brand new engine shipped straight from GM. Higher cost for parts, lower labor costs. $8,500 but this would include a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty on the new engine.

For an extra $1,000, I think it would be a no brainer to go with the new engine since the warranty is much better. Problem is I don't have $8,500 or anything close to it. Contacted a lender about securing a personal loan and begged from family members all day today and combined I was able to come up with about $3,500. Still owe $20k on the truck so not really in a position to sell it and buy a clunker because I'll still be paying for it every month. Basically just up a creek right now. Think I'll call GM tomorrow and see if they can do anything.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Go to the back of your owners book and you will see #'s for the GM Customer service Give them some calls and let us know what happens..
  7. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I agree with [MENTION=34858]Enkeiavalanche[/MENTION]. I had a front differential bearing go out on my 03 escalade in 07 when I bought it. I wasnt happy since I just bought it, got about 75 miles towards home with it when I heard it humming. thought it was a wheel bearing and called the dealership and they told me they would pay for the repair. well after they found out it was a diff bearing they told me I was on my own and that I should have bought an extended warranty. I told them that was BS because before I got there to pick the truck up they advertised a remaining factory warranty. when I got there they said oh no that just expired. I thought, well, what could be wrong with a truck with 29k miles on it so I bought it. My mistake. so I called cadillac(basically GM) and told them that I just bought the truck used and it was just out of the 3 year warranty(3 years and 45 days to be exact) and had only 29k miles on it. They reviewed everything and told me they would cover half of the bill. The bill came to $1300 and I had to come up with $650. long story short I took 2 lessons from this. 1 test drive the vehicle long enough so anything that might heat up(wheel bearing here)will give indication of a problem. 2 If you dont call and try to see if they will do something you will never know. You have nothing to lose by trying IMO. Good luck
  8. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

maaaaaannnn... something doesn't sound right. How could a bad lifter possibly cause you that much trouble and cause GM to want to replace the whole motor?? Are there other issues that I skipped over or that you didn't tell us about? Pulling the top of the engine off these 5.3s isn't THAT terribly hard to do.

Edit: Just say that there was an issue at #6. What did they say that the problem is with it? Are there awful sounds like rods slapping around in there?
  9. BTT2008

BTT2008 New Member

Called GM today and they transferred me to a local customer relations person at the service center that I took the vehicle to. He told me I was out of luck because the warranty dated out in July and that GM wouldn't do anything. Called the dealer that I bought it from and they transferred me to someone's voicemail, and that person hasn't called back yet.

If GM isn't going to stand by one of their trucks that only has 44,000 miles on it, then they have lost a loyal customer for life. I will never buy another GM vehicle and neither will anyone in my family.
  10. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Search around on the web, I think I remember reading about a Class Action Lawsuit that 5.3 owners were starting against GM.

If you can't find one, take them to small claims court. If you do, go armed with a lot of 5.3 engine failure documentation (that shouldn't be hard to find).