GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

$8,500 repair bill from dealer | 5.3 L Engine with 39,000 - Bad Lifter

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by BTT2008, Dec 31, 2013.

1. BTT2008

BTT2008 New Member

Hey everyone,

I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z82 that I bought in June with around 39,000 miles on it. Truck ran great until last week when the Service Stabilitrack/Service Traction Control/Stabilitrack Off/Traction Control Off/Check Engine lights all came on at the same time while I was driving. Took it to my local GM dealer and they told me that there is a problem with one of the lifters and the 6th cylinder, and that it needs a brand new engine. $8,500. The vehicle had the standard 5 year/100,000 mile warranty, but since it is an '08, the warranty dated out in July. I called the dealer that I bought the car from and they have basically just been ignoring the messages I've been leaving for them.

The truck only has 44,000 miles now and I can't believe that a vehicle with such low mileage would need a brand new engine. I don't have $8,500 to fix it so basically I'm just without a vehicle now. Not sure what to do at this point but I'm very frustrated and upset.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

WOW That is Sad.. A guy who lives around the corner from me has a 2013 Avalanche Black Edition He had a problem with Cyc #7 and they replaced the whole motor after he raised his voice a bit.. I would see if you could get intouch with a Customer Service Person and see if they can help..

We have one who lurks on here and she has helped a few members..
  3. the phantom

the phantom New Member

That kind of repair should really be looked at by GM customer service. Sometimes they will offer to split the bill on an out of warranty issue like this. It is unfortunate that it happened and would probably leave a bad taste in my mouth if nothing could be done by GM. Turning their back to you would and should not be in thier future interest keeping you as a customer.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

what would it cost to just replace the lifter? If gm will not help you out, I would get it out of the dealer and replace the lifter
  5. BTT2008

BTT2008 New Member

Appreciate the input so far...couple of things happened today. Mainly, I got the truck back from the dealer and took it to a shop that I trust and that I have gone to for years. Didn't tell them what the dealer said because I wanted to see what they thought of it. They had the truck for a couple of hours before they called and said, "You have problems with the engine that you probably don't want us to fix. You might want to contact a GM dealer and see what they can do for you." So, the second opinion lined up with the dealer's opinion.

Someone asked what it would cost to repair the lifter. Talking to the dealer yesterday they gave me two options for repair-

Option A: They take the engine out and rebuild it, essentially replacing everything bad with new parts. Cheaper for parts, but more expensive for labor as it is more time consuming. The price for that: ~$7,500, and they would give me a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty on the rebuilt engine.

Option B: Replace the engine with a brand new engine shipped straight from GM. Higher cost for parts, lower labor costs. $8,500 but this would include a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty on the new engine.

For an extra $1,000, I think it would be a no brainer to go with the new engine since the warranty is much better. Problem is I don't have $8,500 or anything close to it. Contacted a lender about securing a personal loan and begged from family members all day today and combined I was able to come up with about $3,500. Still owe $20k on the truck so not really in a position to sell it and buy a clunker because I'll still be paying for it every month. Basically just up a creek right now. Think I'll call GM tomorrow and see if they can do anything.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Go to the back of your owners book and you will see #'s for the GM Customer service Give them some calls and let us know what happens..
  7. the phantom

the phantom New Member

I agree with [MENTION=34858]Enkeiavalanche[/MENTION]. I had a front differential bearing go out on my 03 escalade in 07 when I bought it. I wasnt happy since I just bought it, got about 75 miles towards home with it when I heard it humming. thought it was a wheel bearing and called the dealership and they told me they would pay for the repair. well after they found out it was a diff bearing they told me I was on my own and that I should have bought an extended warranty. I told them that was BS because before I got there to pick the truck up they advertised a remaining factory warranty. when I got there they said oh no that just expired. I thought, well, what could be wrong with a truck with 29k miles on it so I bought it. My mistake. so I called cadillac(basically GM) and told them that I just bought the truck used and it was just out of the 3 year warranty(3 years and 45 days to be exact) and had only 29k miles on it. They reviewed everything and told me they would cover half of the bill. The bill came to $1300 and I had to come up with $650. long story short I took 2 lessons from this. 1 test drive the vehicle long enough so anything that might heat up(wheel bearing here)will give indication of a problem. 2 If you dont call and try to see if they will do something you will never know. You have nothing to lose by trying IMO. Good luck
  8. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

maaaaaannnn... something doesn't sound right. How could a bad lifter possibly cause you that much trouble and cause GM to want to replace the whole motor?? Are there other issues that I skipped over or that you didn't tell us about? Pulling the top of the engine off these 5.3s isn't THAT terribly hard to do.

Edit: Just say that there was an issue at #6. What did they say that the problem is with it? Are there awful sounds like rods slapping around in there?
  9. BTT2008

BTT2008 New Member

Called GM today and they transferred me to a local customer relations person at the service center that I took the vehicle to. He told me I was out of luck because the warranty dated out in July and that GM wouldn't do anything. Called the dealer that I bought it from and they transferred me to someone's voicemail, and that person hasn't called back yet.

If GM isn't going to stand by one of their trucks that only has 44,000 miles on it, then they have lost a loyal customer for life. I will never buy another GM vehicle and neither will anyone in my family.
  10. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Search around on the web, I think I remember reading about a Class Action Lawsuit that 5.3 owners were starting against GM.

If you can't find one, take them to small claims court. If you do, go armed with a lot of 5.3 engine failure documentation (that shouldn't be hard to find).
  11. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Member

BTT2008,

I am truly sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle regarding engine issue. I cannot guarantee anything but I would like to look into this concern for you. Could your private message me including your full name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and dealership that you are working with?

Best regards,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care
  12. j cat

j cat Active Member

these things do happen . GM has a policy on warranty and for you its over. no reason for GM to repair this and the cost of $8500 to me means they do not want to do it.

call your local repair shops for them to line up an engine used or have them replace the cam/lifter and whatever else is needed.

you owe a lot on this vehicle so no way you will get more of a loan ..

then there are other options . if you know what I mean .
  13. BTT2008

BTT2008 New Member

Yes I agree, I shouldn't have criticized GM, but I posted that last night in the heat of the moment after I had just been blown off again by the dealer who sold me the vehicle and I was upset. I apologize...it has been a rough week or so.

Re: other options...Not really an option, even though I think I got screwed over here, I have to maintain my own sense integrity. That said, I do remember a couple of weeks ago (before this all happened) I narrowly avoided a wreck as someone cut me off and I had to swerve over to the emergency lane to avoid a collision. In hindsight I guess it would have been easier if I hadn't have been paying attention...insurance company would have paid for the truck for me. Oh well. Not worth someone getting hurt over.
  14. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida New Member

I have the same question as Rocker, how did the dash light up with a bad lifter? Are the lights still on? I'm not sure but did you buy the truck from a GM dealership or a corner used lot? If it is from a GM dealership you'll have something in your favor, its' the dealerships reputation on the line. In six months of driving a lifter doesn't go bad that fast, I have a feeling that the oil wasn't changed often enough by the previous owner and it was trading in because the problem was known. But does the engine run OK, is it making a tapping noise? Another question, $20K plus for a six year old truck seems high and was it sold "As Is"? If you signed "As Is" you do not have a fight in court. Reputable dealerships will always offer to sell a extended warranty and find out if they do offer any. If they do and you were not offered one then there is a fighting chance unless you signed a decline waver.

I think from the comments from the mechanics that you visited, it must be more than a lifter that a engine replacement is warranted. It could be an engine design flaw that results in extensive damage to the engine. It seems like they been down this road before. Education is never cheap.
  15. j cat

j cat Active Member

good things to consider .

- - - Updated - - -

post back what you did with this . good luck .
  16. Goldie

Goldie New Member

Another option to consider is to contact your local Better Business Bureau. They may or may not be able to help but it is worth a shot. They were a great help to me when I had problems with my Wynjammer S/C.
    And keep us posted on how things work out no matter which way you go. It will be a good learning experience for myself and others as well. Good Luck.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  17. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

This has to be a very frustrating situation and I have no clue what could cause that type of engine lifter failure at such an early mileage on the engine. Even if there were NO maintenance done on the engine (like not even a single oil change) I don't think that you would see that at 39,000 miles. ??? Maybe it was abused and/or there could have been a casting defect from the factory that never showed up until now.

In any case, getting a new engine at this point will give you a little bit more value back to the truck ... but probably not the amount of value that you have to spend. It just makes it driveable.

And for the warranty, dates and created for a reason ... There's a difference between 60 and 66 months, GM's got to hold onto a certain amount of cash, etc. However, the low mileage might be enough to help you get some relief on this.
  18. biggmachz

biggmachz New Member

i had the exact same codes/ messages in my dic last summer on my 08 avalanche 5.3
    turned out to be failed coils on both occasions. might be something to check..

- - - Updated - - -

something else to consider, is a DOD delete kit,, comes with a cam, lifters, rockers, springs for about $1000
  19. DrumBound

DrumBound New Member

Check your states lemon laws. I know in NY when a vehicle has over 100k on it the lemon laws are null. But for certain mileages they have to give you a state mandated warranty. I think in NY if it is under 50k it is 6 months or so. Even if the contract says "AS IS" there is an implied guarantee when you buy newish vehicles from dealers.