1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

8 Lug 3/4 ton rearend

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by burbanguy, Jan 2, 2010.

1. burbanguy

burbanguy New Member

I have an 87 Suburban and I just picked up the complete rearend from an 84 Chevy Truck that was at a junkyard. I also got the leaf springs bcuz they had 7 leafs and mines has only 5. (It's a half ton) And when we were taking off the parts, we noticed that the donor truck had a dual driveshaft setup and my Burbie is a straight through axle. I didn't pick up the dual setup bcuz I plan on trying 2 either use mine, or go to another yard and find drive shaft from another Burbie that has the 8 lug rearend on it already. Any suggestions?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

What driveshaft length do you need?
    I think the 2 piece driveshaft is a different length than yours.

Check the U-joints out also, if that new axle was from a 3/4 ton and you have a 1/2 ton Suburban theres a differenc in U-joint sizes, Google "Spicer U-joints" they recently put out a line of U-joint adaptors for swaps just like yours.

Watch those leaf spring lengths, I dont remember them being the same length either.
    Also something about them rubbing on the stock exhaust.
  3. burbanguy

burbanguy New Member

Ok thanks. I heard that the leaf's should fit and as for them hitting my exhaust, I have a flowmaster that has no piping 2 it so that's not an issue. And I took the U- joints from the donor vehicle. Anymore advice?
  4. Willie G

Willie G New Member

Started to mention spring perch width, but then I re-read and saw it was a 3/4 to 1/2 swap.

Nevermind. :sleep:
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  5. burbanguy

burbanguy New Member

Yea, my truck is a 1/2 ton and I'm putting 3/4 ton parts on it. The springs seemed to be the same width where they are mounted at.
  6. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts

Shouldnt that say 1/2 to 3/4 swap ?????????????????????????:lol:
  7. tbplus10

You might need to put a manual BPV on the rear brakes.
    Your going to larger shoes with the new rear axle (which is a good thing) but the factory master cylinder and BPV dont know this and are set-up for the original axle.
  8. burbanguy

burbanguy New Member

Oh ok. I light just get a new/rebuilt master cylinder from Autozone or Kragen/Oriely and get the bpv from a junkyard. Man, those rear brake cables r a headache to take off.
  9. tbplus10

Rebuilt/Reman Master cylinder will work.
    I prefer the manual adjustable BPV's from Summit, they offer added adjustability to the brake system.
  10. burbanguy

burbanguy New Member

Ok, thanks guys:)