8 Lug 3/4 ton rearend

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by burbanguy, Jan 2, 2010.

1. burbanguy

burbanguy Rockstar

I have an 87 Suburban and I just picked up the complete rearend from an 84 Chevy Truck that was at a junkyard. I also got the leaf springs bcuz they had 7 leafs and mines has only 5. (It's a half ton) And when we were taking off the parts, we noticed that the donor truck had a dual driveshaft setup and my Burbie is a straight through axle. I didn't pick up the dual setup bcuz I plan on trying 2 either use mine, or go to another yard and find drive shaft from another Burbie that has the 8 lug rearend on it already. Any suggestions?

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What driveshaft length do you need?
    I think the 2 piece driveshaft is a different length than yours.

Check the U-joints out also, if that new axle was from a 3/4 ton and you have a 1/2 ton Suburban theres a differenc in U-joint sizes, Google "Spicer U-joints" they recently put out a line of U-joint adaptors for swaps just like yours.

Watch those leaf spring lengths, I dont remember them being the same length either.
    Also something about them rubbing on the stock exhaust.

3. burbanguy

burbanguy Rockstar

Ok thanks. I heard that the leaf's should fit and as for them hitting my exhaust, I have a flowmaster that has no piping 2 it so that's not an issue. And I took the U- joints from the donor vehicle. Anymore advice?

4. Willie G

Willie G New Member

Started to mention spring perch width, but then I re-read and saw it was a 3/4 to 1/2 swap.

Nevermind. :sleep:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  5. burbanguy

burbanguy Rockstar

Yea, my truck is a 1/2 ton and I'm putting 3/4 ton parts on it. The springs seemed to be the same width where they are mounted at.

6. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Shouldnt that say 1/2 to 3/4 swap ?????????????????????????:lol:

7. tbplus10

You might need to put a manual BPV on the rear brakes.
    Your going to larger shoes with the new rear axle (which is a good thing) but the factory master cylinder and BPV dont know this and are set-up for the original axle.

8. burbanguy

burbanguy Rockstar

Oh ok. I light just get a new/rebuilt master cylinder from Autozone or Kragen/Oriely and get the bpv from a junkyard. Man, those rear brake cables r a headache to take off.

9. tbplus10

Rebuilt/Reman Master cylinder will work.
    I prefer the manual adjustable BPV's from Summit, they offer added adjustability to the brake system.

10. burbanguy

burbanguy Rockstar

Ok, thanks guys:)