1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

81 diesel to gas

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by DemoMatt3, Sep 28, 2009.

1. DemoMatt3

DemoMatt3 Member

I'm looking at an 81 pickup with a diesel in it with a bad injector pump, and would rather it be gas, I think the diesel was an old motor? how hard is it to convert this over to gas?
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Converting a diesel truck to gas will require a lot of replacing. Not only do you have to swap the motor out, but you also have to swap the transmission out for one built for gas and gas tank/fuel pump. The transmission particularly needs to be reworked or replaced because a diesel runs at much slower RPMs than a gas motor does.
  3. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you buy it, you would be better off replacing the pump and maybe freshening up the motor...
  4. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm not sure the swap would be worth your trouble...
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Unless your getting an extremely great deal on a very well conditioned truck i dont think the drive train swap would be worth the money.
    Look for something with a gas engine if thats what you want theres to many parts needed to make this swap it'll cost a lot.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If it's a really nice truck and you would like to drive it for a while, this is what I would do. I would put in a TBI 350. Get a donor truck for the wiring and stuff like that. Easier than you think. A 87-91 Sub, Blazer, Yukon/Jimmy - would be the ideal donor truck. Same body style, all the wiring & electronics are there. No computer controlled transmission, so you can do whatever you like. TH350 TH400, 700R4.
  7. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 Rockstar 100 Posts

I've got two of the old diesel trucks that we use around the farm. The diesel engines crapped out, so they have been swapped with oldsmobile 350 engines. They mount right up to the tranny's without any trouble. The swap is fairly painless.