81 GMC C6000 Dump Truck 366 Cu in Air Cleaner Question

Discussion in 'Medium-duty Truck Forum' started by mastaphixa, Feb 14, 2017.

1. mastaphixa

mastaphixa New Member

If I have posted this to the wrong forum please let me know. I have a 1981 GMC C6000 Chassis (dump truck)with a 366 Cu In engine. The air cleaner assembly is different that anything else I have seen on an engine. It appears to be stock, two piece, upper and lower housing. The lower housing has a horn that extends from the passenger side with the hot air valve in it (typical). What has me curious is what appears to be a steel air filter of some sort that is bonded to the bottom half of the housing. It has very fine perforations and is about 1/2 of an inch thick. A typical paper air filter element fits around it. Is there a way to clean/service this metal air filter? The truck does not run well with it installed, so I suspect it is clogged.
    Thank you for your help in advance.
    Steve

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've never seen one, but anything can be cleaned. Take it out and soak it in a good underhood cleaner and blow air through it.

3. garagerog

garagerog Member

As Roy says you can clean it in solvent and air dry it. I've never see one on a truck but growing up on a farm I've seen what you could call a secondary or emergency air filter that fits inside the primary paper air filter on a tractor in case of a hole or tear in the primary filter. Mind you a diesel tractor inhales a lot of dirty air that gets by the pre-cleaner and when the Donaldson restriction indicator went red, the farmer just didn't stop work and run into town for a new air filter, the filter got cleaned by banging it on a tire or some such method that probably wasn't the most conducive to filter integrity and life. I'm sure the same thing happened in commercial truck applications with rough duty and at least back in the day GMC gave a little thought to longevity on their product.

RayVoy likes this.