'82 C-10.... Motor?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by ccarter, Mar 20, 2013.

1. ccarter

ccarter New Member

Hello. I am quite the novice at rebuilding motors, and I would like some info.

I have an '82 C-10 single cab, short wheel base, fleet side.

I was talking about purchasing a '75ish stock 350 4bolt from a guy I know, someone else informed me that they have a '80ish 327 short block.

I've only ever put a wrench on 350s, and just curious to see what facts I can get on each.

This truck will be my "toy," so yes, i do want power, but i dont want it to end up being a sinkhole for my cash.

Initially I was think of boring the 350, 400 crank, etc...

Thanks!!!

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The only 80's model 327 I've ever heard of is a truck motor for the Kodiak line up makes decent power but there a tall block and I dont think they fit well under the hood of the C/K series trucks.
    A 350/400 combo comes out as a 383 and is a popular build makes great power but is a little hard to keep running cool and doesnt like to be used as a day to day commuter it would rather be out galloping.
    Either the 383 or 4 bolt 350 would make a decent engine for your truck without breaking the bank. 1hp per cubic inch is a decent reality on either of those engines without sinking a lot of money in them.