Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

82 K10 Tail and Reverse Lights Not Working!

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by ahobson1, Jun 20, 2010.

1. ahobson1

ahobson1 Member

I have an 82 Silverado K10. Two nights ago my left tail light, turn signal and brake lights went out. Ok no big deal, I'll just replace the bulb...NOPE. Still not working. I had a replacement tail light I bought a while back in my garage just in case, wired it up, the reverse light and brake light will come on but very they're very dim.(Probably due to a weak connection since the splicers that came with the kit were total junk and i did it in a hurry) But still no tail lights! Can anyone PLEASE help me with this before I get pulled over!

2. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

Check your ground wire.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

x2
    Older Chevys have a habit of ground wire issues.
    Wouldnt be a bad time to check all the grounds and beef them up with replacement wires.
    Ground wires act like a sacraficial anode on a boat outdrive, they tend to corrode faster than the positive wire so they take a little maintenance from time to time.

4. ahobson1

ahobson1 Member

Well I went out today, got the wires all crimped properly, replaced the grounds that needed it and cleaned up the rest of them. My turn signal, brake light, and reverse light are all shining brighter than they ever have. Still no tail light though! I'm completely confused, Any ideas?

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

NOt to be dumb but have you put the new bulbs into the replacement tail light.

6. ahobson1

ahobson1 Member

Well I used the bulb that came with the tail light kit. I'd never had to do this before so I didn't know much about it, might sound dumb but I thought it was kind of strange that there were only 2 bulbs, 1 for brake and tail and 1 for reverse. I don't understand why the brake light works but not the tail light. I guess I could try replacing the bulb again and see what happens. I'm running out of ideas.

7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

If it is blown on the tail light side then you have a bad ground that you need to find.. And if it isnt then you might want to trace the wire down the harness and see if it is cut or shorted etc.. Since the trail light and brake light actually run on the same wire on the trailer wiring harness i wonder if they are on the same wire for your tails??

8. ahobson1

ahobson1 Member

I'll check it all out again tommorow. Running out of daylight here in Indiana. I really hope it is just a ground that I missed today. If not I have to pull off about a mile of electrical tape that the previous owner wrapped every wire with. Apparently nobody ever told him about conduit to protect wires haha. I'll keep you guys posted.