82 K10 vacuum line question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ahobson1, Jul 3, 2010.

1. ahobson1

ahobson1 Member

I have an 82 K10 pickup with a 350 5.7L. It has an edelbrock carb and intake. The intake is a non-EGR intake. Mounted on this intake is what appears to be a thermal vacuum switch(aka ported vacuum switch) with 2 ports on it. The top port runs to the carb but i noticed today that on the bottom port(I'm assuming that would run to the EGR if it had one) the previous owner just put a short piece of vacuum line over it and then jammed a drywall screw into it! This can't be right...right?! And a second question, since I'm not using an EGR valve, do they make anything I could put in place of the TVS so I can just run the one line to the carb and there's not a big a** drywall screw hanging out in my engine? Or maybe some sort of legitimate plug for that port? Thanks for reading!

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

They make vacuume line plugs.. Your local parts store will have them. I have used them in the past they are heavy duty and work great.

3. 38racn

38racn Member

It's a good idea to keep vacuum plugs of all sizes. Especially if you have aftermarket add-ons or engine swap. But to keep that clean trim look, parts stores will have threaded vacuum ports in a wide variety of configurations.

4. ahobson1

ahobson1 Member

Awesome! Thanks guys! I'm going to get some right now. Ive been looking for an excuse to go to Auto Zone all week! haha

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

It's a good thing I got down there and looked. The vacuum switch was sitting in there loose and I couldnt tighten right then because the power brake line running off the back of the carb was in the way. Could a loose switch have anything to do with my rough idling problem ive been having?

5. murdog94

It might.. I would try to tighten it, and get the caps on the excess ports that you have and go from there...

6. ahobson1

ahobson1 Member

Great. It just snapped off. I had barely even started to tighten it with my hand, as soon as it got a little tension it just snapped right in the middle of the threads. I tried Auto Zone and the soonest they can get a new one in is Wednesday. Ive got one other parts store I can call and if they don't have one today I'm SOL until Wednesday.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

I guess it could be worse though. It could have broke while I was driving. It was obviously old and brittle.

7. murdog94

I guess.. That suck though.

8. ahobson1

ahobson1 Member

Yeah, it almost looks like it was already snapped in that spot and somebody just bonded it back together and wrapped some sealer around it because it was already sitting in there crooked and then it just folded over as soon as I put some tension on it. I've been scrounging through my garage to see if i can make a temporary one out of something since all it really does is push air through but it's not working out. I don't have a fitting to thread into the intake. Looks like I'm stranded until at least tommorow. Maybe i can find a fitting at the hardware store or something.