83 chevy 2500 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by darblr, Dec 1, 2009.

1. darblr

darblr New Member

This truck needed a clutch , ( would not pull hills but would engage in low and reverse ) , disc was junk .

surfaced flywheel , new clutch , plate and bearing . pulled and replaced engine and all the clutch items .

I have now gotten the engine broke in enough to move the truck , but the clutch is not working . The gears are grinding when I try to put it in gear . I have adjusted the rod that contacts the lever ( not sure if I am going the right way ) it is now longer than it was before . This is an all manual system . please tell me I am doing something wrong and I don't have to pull this thing back apart !!!

Thank you
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member

It's very easy to install the disc backwards. Also it's very easy to bend the disc if not careful installing the transmission. I have seen both problems cause a no release problem. Also you could have the wrong throw out bearing or the wrong pressure plate. The bottom line is if the pedal pushes the bearing all the way in the clutch should release. If it doesn't then you will need to pull it back apart. :(
  3. darblr

darblr New Member

Maybe I do have a little luck !! After a couple of adjustments and getting the idle back down to where it should be everything seems to be working fine .

I have read the directions again on pedal free play ,and spacing between throwout bearing and plate , but I am having a heck of a time trying to check spacing ( my head won't fit in the little space by the lever !! ) .

I think I may have shortened the adjusting rod too much . When letting of the pedal it wants to move before I get clear off the pedal . Does this correct or can you talk me through a better way to set the pedal ?

Hate to burn this thing up because I'm not doing it correctly .

Thanks for your help .
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member

Just set it so you have about 1" of free play at the clutch pedal. That's all there is to it. You can feel it by taking your hand and pushing down on the pedal. Any amount of free play is fine but if you have too much it will grind when you try to shift into reverse.
  5. darblr

darblr New Member

Clutch is working great ! Thank you for the help .

new problem ----

It seems that the temp gauge wants to run high at times . New water pump ,second t stat . Yesterday the gauge ran up to the mark between the 210 & the 260 red and then it stayed there even at an idle for sometime . Today I drove around 3 miles and it went right up to the 260 ( red) . I turned around to head back home from a stop sign and as soon as got moving it rapidly dropped down to where it was yesterday .
    The sensor is in the side of the head . I used a new water pump from the start , does not seem to be loosing coolant . I have put around 10 miles on it over a few short drives close to home .

Gauge or sensor ?
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member

Try unplugging the connector. The gauge should drop to C. Ground the wire and the gause should go to H. If so clean the connector and see what happens. Keep in mind an air bubble in the cooling system can cause this problem.