1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

83 chevy heater core

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by rolly, Jun 9, 2009.

1. rolly

rolly New Member

I have an 83 Chevy Custom Deluxe 4x4 3/4ton with a heater core I'm trying to replace. I got a hayne's manual and watched a vid on youtube, but can't figure out how to get it out. I have taken off the dash, the glove box, the floor vent, and finally got the seized heater hoses off.

Now here's where I'm stuck, I can see thru a metal flap (spring load door on the left side of the black case containing the heat core) and see the heater core, but I don't know how to get the thing, the black case, off the cab side of the firewall. Somebody told me you have remove the inside fender skirt, but I don't know why.

Can somebody walk me thru or better yet, post pics on how to remove the heater core? I'm stuck.:grrrrrr:
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

Poke around on the Autozone website. You should be able to find a step by step with pics.
    Does this look like it will help?
    [​IMG]
  3. rolly

rolly New Member

4. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

I did this years ago on my 81. I certainly don't remember the details, but did you take the nuts off the three studs coming through the firewall? The nuts are on the engine side, and hold the heater box to the inside of the firewall.
  5. rolly

rolly New Member

No, but that's where I was going to look next. THANKS!! I hope to get this ordeal done soon. Thanks again guys.

Rolly
  6. rolly

rolly New Member

Sorry it took so long to get back to this, 2COR517, that's exactly what I had to do. Had a buddy help out, did take off the fender well and found the other bolts. Was QUITE a pain in the butt, but we got 'er done. My buddy did however forget one screw holding the heater core in the heater box once we got it out and had to get a junkyard heater module. Tested the core by filling with water and letting it sit to make sure I didn't just throw in another broken heater core, reassembled everything and it worked great, minus not much heat getting thrown out (not full power anymore), but whatever. At least it's not losing antifreeze anymore. Thanks to all who helped.