1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

83' K20 problem

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by SPCMarty, Mar 18, 2010.

1. SPCMarty

SPCMarty New Member

well, seems the K20 3/4 ton i have doesn't like driving fast anymore. after by passing the fuel line to the driver side fuel tank, fixing the front u-joints, and basic stuff ie oil. it'll get up to 30-40mph or so then just cough and quit, it'll die if i push it otherwise it just sputters until i slow down. i had accidentally taken the vacuum line off from the tranny to engine, but have since put it back. bear in mind the fuel tank has not been used in 4-5 yrs and i just bypassed the tank selector valve Replaced fuel filter, got new plugs wires and cap/rotor. waiting on a 6mo old Edelbrock Carb to replace old one.

2. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Welcome to the site!

My first thought was the fuel filter, but you've covered that. The carb may be out of adjustment, or clogged internaly.
    Check your exhaust to see if the cat convertor is clogged up. I've seen plenty of 30mph vehicles find the benefit of a 3ft crow bar!

Good luck,