1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'84 Engine Replacement

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by flyinfish, Jun 11, 2010.

1. flyinfish

flyinfish New Member

I have and '84 Chevy 3/4 ton with 350 and manual transmission. Living in California poses some issues with our draconian smog laws as I would like to replace the stock engine with a GM Performance crate engine. I don't want to get overly radical and am considering either the 290 HP or the 330 HP models. I can put all the smog equipment on it so it will pass the visual smog inspection but my concern is after all the $$$'s and effort, will it pass the sniffer test? Has anyone done this? Know of someone who has done this? Any and all input is appreciated.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You might consider swapping in a TBI system from an 87-91 gen truck/suburban. Or just bite the bullet and do a 5.3/6.0 swap with the full PCM.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Good cats with a properly tuned carb, and good timing and the motor should pass with flying colors..